Thread: Greetings from a newbie

Default Greetings from a newbie

Hello Everyone,

I'm new here (obviously) but not new to ghost town exploring, which my grandparents introduced me to in 1977...I've been hooked ever since.

I even got my father finally on board, and he owns http://www.silverstateghosttowns.com. Since he's retired, he gets to travel around on his own whim with no concerns about returning for work or family matters...must be nice!! I've taken him to several of the spots he's photographed, and directed him to many more. We hope to expand his site considerably in the next few years.

My primary interests are exploring old mines and abandoned railroad grades...ghost towns regularly fall into this interest category. I am especially fascinated with exploring railroad grades in NV, CA, & AZ.

One site I've searched for information on, but failed to find any, is an old mining complex near the map location of Chubbuck, CA... with coordinates of 34.343365, -115.288843. It featured a narrow-gauge railroad that ran from the mine several miles NE to the Southern Pacific railhead at Chubbuck (the grade is still visible from Google Maps satellite images). Does anyone have any info on this mine, or the railroad equipment used? I have every book & publication I could ever find that covers railroads that ran in the desert southwest, but cannot find any info on this mine nor its RR.

Wierd question, I know, but this is the very first mine & abandoned railroad my grandparents introduced me to many years ago, and I've always meant to get back out there to re-explore & chronicle it...hopefully this year. The problem is that there are so darn many neat ghost towns & mines throughout NV that have captured my interest, it's difficult to find the time necessary!

Any help you can provide me is very much appreciated. And thanks for such a useful forum! I hope to contribute much more in the near future.

silverstate55...........Welcome to the website. Thanks for the link to your fathers website. The photo slideshow is outstanding and brings back a few memories of my travels around the Great State of Nevada. Some folks don't know what a beautiful place Nevada is, as most of them are travelling thru on Hwy. 80 or 15 to other destinations. My folks lived in Northern Nevada for quite awhile and I'd always take the time to explore a new area while visiting them. Great Basin N.P. is not visited nearly as much as most of the other National Parks in the U.S., and usually has small crowds to deal with, which is really nice. Anyway, I'll be checking in on your father's website, regularly. Thanks again.....

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have ya here!!!

Thanks fellas! I love living in Nevada, and can't wait to retire & move to Northern Nevada somewhere...

And yes, GBNP is a great little hidden gem; I camped there several years ago during the summer, there was a snowmelt stream running right through my campsite & lots of deer kept walking through right next to my truck - it was wonderful!

Nevada's remoteness & small population has undoubtedly helped to keep most of our ghost towns in better shape than other western states'...I hope they stay that way.

Thanks again!

Thread Information