Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caretaking...

Thumbs down Caretaking...

Hello to all-- new to the forum, and glad to see that the interest in ghost towns is there!

My question concerts caretakers/caretaking of ghost towns-- how does someone find out about an opportunity like that? I am 45, a history major, avid amateur historian, army (Infantry) veteran, responsible, and single... I don't mind snakes, cold, heat, sandstorms, snowstorms, (etc.-- you get the idea!), so I think I have some qualifications that would go well with the job. I know that I would definitely 'be into it'...

If anyone has any comments or suggestions, I'd love to hear about them.

Thanks-
    Scott

It may not be the glamorous job you think it is. I know of only one ghost town caretaker position and that is at Ballarat. Below is a photo of a previous caretaker--Ballarat Donna---bless her heart.

NJ
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

I'm not operating under any illusions at all-- I have a pretty good idea of at least the generalities, from reading here and many other sites/forums... just trying to find out about the possibilities...

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Most that I know of are either managed by a group people living there that have grown up in the town and know it's history, the forestry service if on forest land, or some "preservation society". It's rare to see/find a town with only one caretaker there as NJ described...but then again, everyplace is different, too.
    I hope you find your answer!!!

The ghost town of Lake Valley, New Mexico may again someday be looking for a caretaker. The last I knew the owner/caretaker was looking for an assistant to help him with the Ghost town of Shakespeare, New Mexico. Good Luck in your search.
    40FORDJIM GHOSTTOWNER SINCE 1965

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Ruby has a caretaker, but I think a gent called Sky-Dog has that job sewn up!
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Talking

I don't know of any Ghost Towns that need a caretaker. On the other hand, I do know of several Ghost Towners who need a caretaker. OJ

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by old judge View Post
    I don't know of any Ghost Towns that need a caretaker. On the other hand, I do know of several Ghost Towners who need a caretaker. OJ

Ooooooh I resemble that, yer honor. Brian 10X does too (or did at one time). But he only makes rare visits nowadays, so not sure if he's been "saved" or not.

Quote Originally Posted by 40FORDJIM View Post
    The ghost town of Lake Valley, New Mexico may again someday be looking for a caretaker. The last I knew the owner/caretaker was looking for an assistant to help him with the Ghost town of Shakespeare, New Mexico. Good Luck in your search.
    Scott Anderson wrote me a PM, and I sent a response and information to him.

I used to hear from Lake Valley visitors, ALL THE TIME, about Shakespeare being closed whenever they went there. I hope the owner/caretaker gets the help he sorely needs. Maybe that would be just the ticket - for Scott and the owner of Shakespeare.

Thanks Jim!

Kathy

BTW: Did you ever make it to LV?

I'm enclosing a photo of the previous caretakers of Lake Valley - my husband Bruce and I. It's a great place!
    (We're now at a petroglyph site).
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by LV Caretaker; 08-06-2009 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Added photo and additional post content.
    Kathy

I sent them an e-mail tonight-- whether they respond or not, who knows...

Thread Information