Thread: Tonopah - Belmont Mine

Default Tonopah - Belmont Mine

I am assuming this is probably not the right place for this, but I went out with some friends of mine earlier today and stumbled accross an old abandoned mining operation out here in Tonopah Arizona. I looked around the net and found a couple of names for this mine. The Tonopah-Belmont, Belmont-Mcneil and East Vulture Mine. The last makes no sense to me, because by my reckoning this mine is to the South West of Vulture Mine.

I was wondering if anyone had any information on this mine, history on it, and any other ways to get to it (we found a round about way to it, after following along the CAP c**** for awhile.)

Any information anyone may have would be greatly appreciated, and seeing that this is probably in the wrong section, if it could then be moved to an appropriate location please.

Where is that mine? According to Nell Murbarger the ghost town mine camp of Vulture is about 15 miles south west of Wickenburg which places it twenty-five miles north of Tonopah. She has some nice descriptions and history of the place in her book Ghosts of the Adobe Walls.

The Vulture mine produced up to $15 million in Henry Wickenburg's lifetime, however, almost none of that enriched the Austrian immigrant.

NJ
    Last edited by Norman Johnson; 08-05-2009 at 08:18 AM.
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

Well, the mine I am refferring to is just north of tonopah by maybe 10 miles or so. I wasn't easy to get to, all back roads and trails. Had a few moments where I thought we were going to get stuck in the car we had taken up there.

Well normally when someone mentions Tonopah-Belmont I think of Nevada. But there is reference to Tonopah-Belmont Mine in AZ on mindat.org (I'm sure this is what you found)I also found this....

Map Reference: 3338'52"N , 11255'56"W

Important Disclaimer: This locality information is for reference purposes only. You should never attempt to visit any sites listed in mindat.org without first ensuring that you have the permission of the land and/or mineral rights holders for access and that you are aware of all safety precautions necessary.
    Mike

That is the exact mine I am reffering to. Other than that info on Mindat.org, telling me what they mined, and the name of the mine, I have been able to find scant else on that mine.

Thumbs up Tonopah Dump-Good Article

http://www.rockhounds.com/rockgem/ar...goldfield.html
    Good material just posted on other forum I on-Hope this helps
    Mr.Silver

Well, It looks like it has some good info, but it is the wrong Tonpah. I am referring to Tonopah Arizona.

campp is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Rheiga, any pictures?

I don't have any pictures myself right now, I forgot to grab my camera. I plan on heading back up there in a week or two, I will snap some pictures then, and post them up.

Quote Originally Posted by acecomike View Post
    ..Map Reference: 3338'52"N , 11255'56"W..
    Plugged those coordinates into Google Earth and it shows what would appear to be an old mining operation in the area, at least the scars left by cutting trails into the area.

Thread Information