Thread: 1935 Death Valley CCC Camp

Default 1935 Death Valley CCC Camp

From my father, John W. Johnson's, memories of Death Valley:

"In April 1935, I first visited Death Valley National Monument, established by President Franklin D. Roosevelt soon after he assumed office.....The crew at the work camp was building the tent platforms, mess hall, latrine, tool house, and other structures in preparation for the moving of Company 908 from Lytle Creek to Wildrose Canyon."

What follows are a few photo's I took about five years ago. The first is the 11,000 foot high Telescope Peak which towers above and south from Wildrose canyon. Then some photo's up canyon from the campground at the old garages and sheds and ranger cabin. In one photo, you can see the campground in the background behind the camp host's site.

There is a photo of the Skidoo pipe section, behind which you can make out the trail across the landscape where the pipe lay on the surface.

Then there is a shot of the road up to the Supervisor's cabin. This was built in about 1938 or so for use by the park supervisor. I do not know much about its history or demise, however, there is a water tank up a hundred or so feet above the cabin and the inscription tells who built it.

The final shot is of the Sierra's which are across the Panamint Valley, the Argus Mountains, the Darwin Plateau, The Inyo Mountains, and Owens Valley. Whitney is to the left of center but back from the frontal peaks so it does not appear as the highest peak in the photo.

The supervisor would have enjoyed a wonderful view.

NJ
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Norman Johnson; 08-10-2009 at 05:25 PM.
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

Some more photo's
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

Another group
    Last edited by Norman Johnson; 08-10-2009 at 05:23 PM.

The last of them

Very cool photos.

I'd like to head up to Wild Rose and see the charcoal kilns, the view from Telescope Peak, etc. Perhaps the fall will be the best time to go.

West-central Grant County, state of New Mexico, USA

A gorgeous view, and all that beautiful stone work - and no one there to enjoy it!? So sad. Guess we can enjoy your photos of it, instead.

Can anyone tell me, if there is a guide to CCC camps. I think I know of one near me. No one here seems to know any more about it, though.

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Nice to have an actual family account, really gives it a sense of place & time.

Good shots too, thanks.

<
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Default CCC Camps

Quote Originally Posted by Helena of the Gila View Post
    A gorgeous view, and all that beautiful stone work - and no one there to enjoy it!? So sad. Guess we can enjoy your photos of it, instead.

Can anyone tell me, if there is a guide to CCC camps. I think I know of one near me. No one here seems to know any more about it, though.
    Try this http://digilab.browardlibrary.org/cd...CISOSTART=1,21

West-central Grant County, state of New Mexico, USA

Thumbs up Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by windbreaker View Post
    Thank ya', kindly, windbreaker. That is a lot of info! Someone was up there in force, on that canyon above where I live. And it did not appear to be the usual mining or ranching. (?)

Thread Information