Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cerro Gordo Gohst Town

Default Cerro Gordo Gohst Town

This very rustic cabin is located on 20 acres and has panoramic views from every location on the property. The purchase price comes with a patented mining claim on the property as well as rights to an adjacent claim.

The cabin is well maintained and does have electricity but no running water. A large cistern is located on the property that accommodates plenty of water.

The bathroom does include a recently installed incinerator toilet. However, the outhouse has an amazing view that can be enjoyed when the weather is warm.

If you enjoy a spectacular views of the Easter Sierra and the history of a ghost town this might be the place for you.
    Offered at $90,000
    http://members.cox.net/ddamiano/4saleweb.mht

That looks like Harold Carrasco's place over the hill south of "town." He was getting well up in years. Is he still alive?
    David A. Wright
    Quote: "Happy Trails To You, Until We Meet Again!"

Link doesn't work for me.

only works with IE

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Wright View Post
    That looks like Harold Carrasco's place over the hill south of "town." He was getting well up in years. Is he still alive?
    Is that on the hill near the microwave tower?

Cool! Quick one of you guys buy the place. I'd be happy to pay rent for a couple weekends a year.

NJ
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

Quote Originally Posted by shirohniichan View Post
    Is that on the hill near the microwave tower?
    It's a bit south of the microwave tower, on a road running off of main road going to the summit of a flat peak to the southwest of Cerro Gordo Peak (and higher than Cerro Gordo Peak) that holds a communications site.

The house was owned by Harold "Swede" Carrasco, of Lone Pine. My wife and I were friends with them. But I've moved away from the Owens Valley and have lost contact. They would be about 90 or older now if they are still alive.

The Carrasco family has been in southern Inyo County since its inception, mainly involved in mining and teaming.
    David A. Wright

Here are some photos I took of the cabin some years back, taken from along the road to the communications site, and from the top of that peak.

David A. Wright

Those are some wonderful photo's, David. Talk me out of making an offer. You know the country way more than I do. I've been there once. Make some good arguments why this would be a bad investment, a place I wouldn't use, and a tough place to re-sell.

I'm heading out that way in a month to try that salt tram trail you have on your website, so I know I'll head on up and check out the site. May need to arrange a showing. But first, talk me out of it.

NJ
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

Access litigation problems clogged the courts during the 1990s between the late Jody Stewart and Carrascos. I don't recall the outcome, but it left both (and surviving spouce Mike Patterson) bitter to this day. I never mentioned to either that I knew the other, because I didn't want to be caught in the middle ...

Mike controls the road to the communications towers and thus Carrasco's place. The road is gated near Mike's house. Thus, the potential is there for it all to be ugly once again.

I imagine if the house is for sale, these issues must have been resolved. But then again if not or there is a loosely controlled outcome, it could cause problems.

And water is a rare commodity in Cerro Gordo. Up until the late Jody Stewart and Mike found a large enough pump to pull up water from deep within the Union Mine (and the people to install it at the 1800 foot level), they had to haul water up to their home. I'm sure the Carrasco's place has no access to water via the Union Mine.

So, no water + no access. Sounds like a good enough reason to bypass this?
    David A. Wright

Thread Information