Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ghost town between Broken Arrow and Coweta, Oklahoma

Exclamation Ghost town between Broken Arrow and Coweta, Oklahoma

Greetings to all,

My name is Valag and I'm a paranormal investigator in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I've conducted over a hundred investigations thus far in this and all bordering states.

Some of my investigations have taken me into uncharted or forgotten territory. Fortunately my second love is searching for ghost towns and other abandoned structures.

Many years ago I met a young man who told me of a ghost town located between Broken Arrow and Coweta, Oklahoma. He further told me that the only way to get to it was to hike through some dense woods and then repel down into the valley where the remnants of the town stand. He offered to take me there and give me instructions on how to repel. As he was in a rush he arranged to meet with me the next week for further details. The next week came around and he didn't show. The following week I was in the same place and spotted his friends who accompanied him during our meet. I ask them where the guy was and they told me he's been killed in a car accident just a couple days after I met him.

I had little to go off of, but I was determined to find this place. It took me two weeks of exploring dirt roads and trudging through the woods, but I finally found it! I was not a bit disappointed either. It was just as the guy described. Many old buildings and houses, some built onto outcroppings on the wall of the valley. Since I didn't have any repelling gear, I circled around to the opposite side of the valley where there was a gradual slope leading to the town. I passed a number of limestone foundations and even steps carved into the rock face!

There was a stream running through the center of the town and ending into a cave, or possibly an old mine. I'm leaning more toward it being a mine due to the iron track barely protruding out of the ground. Next to the stream was a two-story concrete building. There was a round hole in the floor separating the two stories, which tells me it must have been a fire house. Next to that structure was a small building made from stone and containing a network of pipes and valves. Probably a pump house for the fire station. There were a number of houses that lined the valley area and some buildings that looked like they may have served a businesses, and a church. All were in varying stages of dilapidation. Some had trees growing through the roof, and walls. Next to what remained of the church was a cemetery containing pre, and post-Civil War graves. The whole town is spread over roughly a mile stretch. As far as I could surmise anyway.

Unfortunately I didn't get to stay nearly as long as I wanted and my camera had gotten wet and was malfunctioning, so I was unable to take any photos.

I'm sure the property is owned by someone because there were some oil rigs and tanks at the end of the dirt road where I had to abandon my car. From there the town is about an hour hike through some really dense woods.

To date I have found NOTHING on this town. No name, nothing on a map, nothing in historical records, nothing at all. I wish I would have found some signs, or copied names from the legible headstones.

So, I was wondering if anyone had heard of this place before or could provide any information at all about the town. There were no houses on the road leading to the oil rigs, or I'd probe around there for answers. No one I've spoken to around here knows anything about it. Most are amazed to hear there is even a town among those woods.

I plan to return someday with a team of investigators because I'm sure there must be something of interest within the valey area. I'd like to plan a camping expedition so that we can spend a few days exploring and conducting investigations.

Any help or information at all would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Valag; 09-07-2009 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Spelling errors

Could you perhaps give us a couple road names to specify the location? From the rough description, I can't narrow down much to try and figure out a location.
    Easily distracted.

Current distraction: Railroad Depots

I'm actually looking into that right now. It's been about 14 years since I was there last and I don't recall any of the road names. I drove up and down a lot of roads over that two week period. I'm certain if I went back out there I could find it again, but to look at maps, I'm drawing a blank. Google maps isn't much help because the place was so overgrown and G-Maps doesn't show a whole lot of detail in most densely wooded areas. If I can think of or find anything I'll be sure to update here ASAP.

I'm also finding that Google Maps is completely wrong is some areas. It's showing roads where I know for a fact there isn't any. I remember my GPS did the same thing to me which only adds to the confusion.
    Last edited by Valag; 09-07-2009 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Additional information

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Thumbs down

Sorry...Spent some time on this red herring and think it's time to call BS. I'm thinking time has warped your memory of these events. I'm familiar with the area; without more, I have to conclude it ain't there...Sorry again. OJ

Quote Originally Posted by old judge View Post
    Sorry...Spent some time on this red herring and think it's time to call BS. I'm thinking time has warped your memory of these events. I'm familiar with the area; without more, I have to conclude it ain't there...Sorry again. OJ
    If the only way to get into town would be to climb down a cliff, I imagine it wouldn't last very long.

With all due respect your honor, I have no reason to B.S. about this location. I've been there, I've seen it, I've explored it. I will concede to you that my memory of the exact location may be a bit fuzzy after nearly fifteen years. This is why I spent a good portion of last evening looking at maps of the area. It's possible that it may be located South of the Arkansas River. I did note a vast expansion of woodlands there.

If all else fails, I will go out this Fall and try to relocate it on ground level.

Please don't accuse me of falsifying this town just because you're not aware of it. As I said, I have indeed been there and know for a fact that it does exist.

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Well,,,,Hit it a lick. OJ

Quote Originally Posted by old judge View Post
    Well,,,,Hit it a lick. OJ
    Not sure I understand your meaning, your honor, but I will report back when I know more about this location.

Cool Any thing yet

I was wondering if the ghost town between Broken Arrow and Coweta was found again or any of the ideas where it is located

Come on guys, be nice. I don't think he's B.S.ing anybody. Memories can become very faded after awhile and he did say that there is an easier way to get into the town, he just had to go around the other side of the valley. Sorry, Valag, sometimes some people here get a little grouchy just because there are a LOT of people that come to this website just to B.S. and can sometimes be a little too quick to judge and throw accusations. There are still quite a few unmarked ghost towns that are not on any map or website, including this one. Maybe you can find it again and try to find out the name and submit it to this website. Now will everyone please be nice to each other?
    Quote Originally Posted by Valag View Post
    With all due respect your honor, I have no reason to B.S. about this location. I've been there, I've seen it, I've explored it. I will concede to you that my memory of the exact location may be a bit fuzzy after nearly fifteen years. This is why I spent a good portion of last evening looking at maps of the area. It's possible that it may be located South of the Arkansas River. I did note a vast expansion of woodlands there.

If all else fails, I will go out this Fall and try to relocate it on ground level.

Please don't accuse me of falsifying this town just because you're not aware of it. As I said, I have indeed been there and know for a fact that it does exist.
    Rachel in Utah ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com
    It's not fun 'till I get hurt!

Thread Information