Thread: Steins, NM Sept 2009

Default Steins, NM Sept 2009

I traveled to Steins, NM to see what I could see and to see if I could get in to take some photographs. When I got there the town was encircled by a locked fence. I was able to take a few pictures by walking around the fence but there was no way to get in.

When I left I noticed what looked like the owner working on some project in his garage. I went over and talke to him for quite a while. (hoping maybe I could still get in...NOT!).

I did get some good recent history however. Apparently it was open until about a year and a half ago. He told me that he had as much as 300 visitors in a day at times. He would have tour buses stop to tour. However, they were stealing the town blind. Everytime he went in with another tour something else would be missing. He got tired of losing stuff so he closed it to the public.

I still asked it I might get in take some pictures for ghosttowns.com and he refused saying that he did not want to turn off the security system.

I also asked about his home. It was a pretty derelict structure. He told me that it was one of the ghost town structures and he kept the outside looking as he found it for obvious reasons. However, he told me that you would be surprized since he renovated the inside like a modern home. Pretty cool!

He is still in the process of repairing the buildings. His recent work has been fixing the old school. I still had a very enjoyable conversation with him. I guess that was good enough.

Here are a few of the pictures I was able to take from over the fence.

Mike Woodfin
    http://www.outdooreyes.com/list/theg...rst=first&wh=3

Attached Images Attached Images      

If people were ripping off parts of my ghost town, I'd close it, too! It gets so frustrating that there are lots of people out there who don't give a lick about history and will destroy it for a souvenir.

Thanks for the update.

I went to Steins a few years back, and thoroughly enjoyed my visit. I'm sorry to hear that it's closed. The owner and his wife were very nice. You would be VERY suprised to see the inside of the general store.......Speedy

Sunrise is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

I've never reached Steins, but I've been to Steins Peak. I came from the west approach through Doubtful Canyon. I hope to return there within a month. You enter at Rooster Comb, near the weigh station on the state line. It's a great, isolated region that seems mostly untouched and untrammled except by the stagecoaches and travallers that passed through there so many years ago. I suppose it was so named from the many apache strikes along there. Stein was one of the many people who lost their lives there. The Penningtons had some trouble there as well, if I remember correctly.

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Good post Mike, I especially like the shot with the tracks vanishing point disappearing into the butte.

<
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Default Thanks Vulture

Thanks for the compliment.

One of those double decker trains had just gone by. You know the ones that have four engines in the front and two in the back. (we don't have them in Florida) It drew our attention to the tracks and I kinda like the look of tracks going off in the distance with pics anyway. Steins Peak is a really cool mountain anyway. I wish I had had more time to explore the area. There were some rock mining structures near the base of the butte.

Mike Woodfin
    http://www.outdooreyes.com/list/theg...rst=first&wh=3

That is interesting stuff and intriguing photo's. You have a nice little personal story to go with some history.

NJ
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

Thread Information