Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cerro Gordo, CA - Death of Mike Patterson

Default Cerro Gordo, CA - Death of Mike Patterson

I just received word that Mike Patterson, current owner of much of Cerro Gordo ghost town, died this morning. I don't have any particulars of cause of death or where he died. I surmise he will be buried next to his beloved Jody, in the cemetery in the ghost town.

When I get more particulars, I'll update this post.
    David A. Wright
    Quote: "Happy Trails To You, Until We Meet Again!"

That's is very sad. Two weeks ago when I was in Cerro Gordo, the Caretaker, Frank, told us that Mike was in the hospital in San Bernardino with heart problems. He didn't make it sound urgent, but it must have been.

I asked him if Mike had relatives and Frank said there were sons, none of whom seemed to have much interest in Cerro Gordo. I only met Mike once, years ago, and I now wonder what the fate of Cerro Gordo will be. I would hate to see the place strip-mined. Fortunately silver values are very low.

A buddy and I drove by Mike's place at Swansea on the way up the Swansea---Cerro Gordo road to the salt tram terminal. He has a small spread all by itself out on a two lane highway just north of the old Owens Lake shoreline. Three or four dogs ran along the fence barking as we drove past and I wondered who was looking after the place while he was in San Bernardino.

As a person gets on in life, the accumulation of things and people and animals and plants that depend on you, can be a burden and a blessing. Mike had a world of things that he seemed to have needing his attention. I hope I can leave this earth in an orderly fashion, but who can say. We go when we go.

NJ
    Last edited by Norman Johnson; 09-24-2009 at 06:36 PM.
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

Unhappy

D*mn, that's too bad. Mike was a huge repository of Cerro Gordo history and trivia.

He will be surely missed.

Thank you for the update. We missed him in early August, but apparently he wasn't in the hospital just yet (just not feeling well enough to stay at high altitudes).

Default Mike Patterson's Wife

I was Mike Patterson's Wife from Nashville in 2003. Do you have more details? This is very sad. We wrote some hit songs at Cerro Gordo and I was the only one he would play his guitar in front of. What will happen to the Ghost town? Will it go to the woman scientist who was investing int he hotel? Or his sons? I know Jody married him because she new she had cancer and didn't want it go to back to the state.
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Wright View Post
    I just received word that Mike Patterson, current owner of much of Cerro Gordo ghost town, died this morning. I don't have any particulars of cause of death or where he died. I surmise he will be buried next to his beloved Jody, in the cemetery in the ghost town.

When I get more particulars, I'll update this post.

Default I am Mike Patterson's Former Wife

I worry about his animals. He had two mustangs that just sat around and got fed. He had several Kelpy dogs, hopefully someone is up there dealing with the animals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Johnson View Post
    That's is very sad. Two weeks ago when I was in Cerro Gordo, the Caretaker, Frank, told us that Mike was in the hospital in San Bernardino with heart problems. He didn't make it sound urgent, but it must have been.

I asked him if Mike had relatives and Frank said there were sons, none of whom seemed to have much interest in Cerro Gordo. I only met Mike once, years ago, and I now wonder what the fate of Cerro Gordo will be. I would hate to see the place strip-mined. Fortunately silver values are very low.

A buddy and I drove by Mike's place at Swansea on the way up the Swansea---Cerro Gordo road to the salt tram terminal. He has a small spread all by itself out on a two lane highway just north of the old Owens Lake shoreline. Three or four dogs ran along the fence barking as we drove past and I wondered who was looking after the place while he was in San Bernardino.

As a person gets on in life, the accumulation of things and people and animals and plants that depend on you, can be a burden and a blessing. Mike had a world of things that he seemed to have needing his attention. I hope I can leave this earth in an orderly fashion, but who can say. We go when we go.

NJ

Default Melody Patterson

Mike and I were married on 03-03-03 and together wrote some of my best songs for my music ministry at Cerro Gordo. As you can imagine that peaceful setting as a place to write songs! I will never forget us picking on the guitars (I still have a tape of him playing lead) and singing “Lord Please Deliver Me From Myself” the next song we wrote, “I’ll See You When I Get There” was inspired by the loss of his dad whom I only met once. Mike had some great one liners and was a great person to write songs with. Few people know this, as I was the only person he would play his guitar in front of, although I tried to get him to play for others, he was too bashful.

Mike, you are very missed but our songs will live on!

MelodyQUOTE=David A. Wright;43509]I just received word that Mike Patterson, current owner of much of Cerro Gordo ghost town, died this morning. I don't have any particulars of cause of death or where he died. I surmise he will be buried next to his beloved Jody, in the cemetery in the ghost town.

When I get more particulars, I'll update this post.[/QUOTE]

RIP Sorry to hear that.
    Last edited by AZBang; 10-22-2009 at 07:15 PM.

Melody, it was good of you to add those kinds words.

NJ
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

Default re:

This is so sad. I don't know him, but my boyfriend and I frequent that area. I would be interested in knowing who is going to take care of this gem? I would gladly donate my time & materials to helping maintain Cerro Gordo and Mike Patterson's legacy. Maybe a few of us could all get together one weekend out of the month and clean up and do some maintenance? In his memory? If anyone's interested, email me and I'll get the ball rolling. We need to take care of this place if no one else is going to. Thanks.
    Bre.

Thread Information