Thread: White Tank Mountains, AZ

Default White Tank Mountains, AZ

One of my biggest hang-outs when I lived out in the Valley was the White Tank Mountains. We did a lot of hiking in the park on the front (east) side, but also a lot of 4-wheeling and exploring on the back (west) side - the part that accessible from the Bell Rd. extension.

I don't ever recall coming across any left over equipment, however there were two areas with tailings. One was just a small "glory hole" that went down at a 25 - 30 angle about 30 feet or so and tapered down to a point inside - not sure if it was a cave in, or what...but I seem to recall thinking it was just an abandoned effort, since the tailing pile wasn't very large. It did house a nice owl, though, which scared me probably more than I scared him! Picture a huge white owl flying straight at you coming out of the bowels of the earth and flying about 2 feet over your head! This was towards the northern end of the range, and a short easy hike up from the trails.

Another mine I found was further south along the range, and there were two ways to get to it. The first time I found it, I just followed the trails at the base of the range, then came across a road that went up into the mountains. Maybe half way to 3/4 up the road, a road split off from that and led to the mine opening. It was huge, tall enough to walk straight in for quite a ways. I never did make it all the way back before turning around - found it unexpectedly and didn't have a flashlight - but we were able to go back quite a ways before the light gave out. When I say big - we probably could have driven my truck inside, at least for a little bit. I really don't recall seeing any leftover equipment, and it looked like some other people at least had found it and maybe camped out - a fire pit and some beer cans left over out in front of the opening. We continued up the road and drove around up in the mountains for a while, never really coming across much more. When we left, we followed a different road more or less straight out to the Bell Rd. extension, and we passed a large open tank of some sort - about 15 - 20 feet across, 3 - 4 feet high...had the cross-members that made me think they may have had it hooked to a donkey or something...

Anyways...sorry for the rambling... but does anyone know of anything back in that area?

I was over there earlier this summer and it appears they have some of the trails closed off. This is off of W. Sun Valley Pkwy which is the Bell Rd. extension.

Bummer....sorry to hear that. Thanks for the update and pics.

Thread Information