Thread: Kenilworth, Utah

Default Kenilworth, Utah

Ghosttowns.com doesn't have the history of Kenilworth, Utah. I've done some research, and come up with the following:

Coal was discovered where Kenilworth is now in 1904, and the townsite was laid out in 1908. The name Kenilworth was given by British miners who thought the mountain peaks overlooking the area resembled the spires of Kenilworth Castle.

There doesn't seem to be much interest in the ghost towns of Utah on this site, most seem to center their interests around Cal, NV, or AZ. But here is a link that has photos of the town you mentioned:

http://wmrrm.org/kenilworth.html
    Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check, because I have to pass one to earn it for them?

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo2 View Post
    There doesn't seem to be much interest in the ghost towns of Utah on this site, most seem to center their interests around Cal, NV, or AZ. But here is a link that has photos of the town you mentioned:

http://wmrrm.org/kenilworth.html
    It has to do mostly with where members live; I don't live in Utah, and with the abundance of ghost towns & abandoned mines in Nevada, there's too much for me to explore locally to justify trips to Utah. No knock against Utah at all; I have plenty of books & maps detailing sites in Utah (as well as my photos & notes from a road trip in 1999, when I drove from Vegas through Salt Lake City to Yellowstone NP...I'd love to return one day to thoroughly explore!). I just don't have the time.

Since 99% of the content here is member-posted (donated?), it just takes a Utah resident (or two, or three, or ....) to make the trips, take the photos, and post them here with a trip report.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
    --Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoa*alysis (1952)

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Wink

I'm from (all my life) Oklahoma. My wife is a Utah Native with folks all over the state. I kinda try to respond to folks interested in Oklahoma. My wife and I make many short trips hereabouts, but realize this site is not going to be a hot-bed of Oklahoma GT interest.
    Utah has plenty to offer. I've never felt that I couldn't learn, on this site, and on my own, all I needed to GT in Utah. My limitations are age and vehicle related only.
    I do favor AZ and NM. CO to some extent, and, of course, NV. Some has to do with photo ops. Some has to do with access. Some has to do with the folks. Some with the wide open nothingness in spots.
    Lets face it...The classic GT of which people dream must be in the right climate. You take Bodie and stick it in Mississippi, it lasts thirty, forty years. It rots, and the flora gets it. Even most of Oklahoma, Dust Bowl and all, is wet enough to destroy a town in no time.
    Oops, it's wet here this week and my soap box is turning to rot, mold and mush. Ooops. Muddy here too. OJ

Oh, and I almost forgot; Kenilworth still has a small population in it. It's not truly deserted, but it's still a ghost of what it used to be.

Thread Information