Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Route 66

Default Route 66

As the song by Bobby Troup goes:

If you ever plan to motor west
    Travel my way, the highway that's the best.
    Get your kicks on Route 66!....

From Wikipedia:

U.S. Route 66 (also known as the Will Rogers Highway after the humorist, and colloquially known as the "Main Street of America" or the "Mother Road") was a highway in the U.S. Highway System. One of the original U.S. highways, Route 66, US Highway 66, was established on November 11, 1926. However, road signs did not go up until the following year. The famous highway originally ran from Chicago, Illinois, through Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California, before ending at Los Angeles, encompassing a total of 2,448 miles.

I started in Barstow, or as Don says, “Barstool.” When I go camping, my wife tells me not to be home early, because she wants to wash the floor before I get there and make a mess out of the place. I understand perfectly and must find ways to delay my return to Costa Mesa. This weekend I decided to take 66 from Barstow to Victorville.

Almost everyone else flies past this two-lane stretch on the 15. 80 mph turns the distance into a twenty-minute blip. I managed to spend almost an hour, stopping multiple times to take photo’s and check out the past.

NJ
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

That was the good part of town.
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

These photo's are skewed to the colorful properties. There were a few new builds. But who wants to see that s##t.

This bottle house is really nice. I couldn't figure the place out but also couldn't stop taking photo's.

And so here are the last few.

A little road left and I head home to mess up the kitchen floor.

NJ

dwinslow is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Know it well, The National Trails Highway, "Old Route 66" as it goes through Helendale, Oro Grande, Hodge, Lenwood. There are some abandoned places out around Indian Trail. Lots of history out there. I'm out there quite a bit for the railroad photos. Good to see you back in here NJ. You've been kinda quiet.
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California
    Ghost Town Web site:http://www.donwinslow.net/Ghost%20Towns.html

I had to wait for the BNSF train to show up in that one photo, but I did it just for Don. This is my kind of highway and I'm pretty sure most of you guys would rather drive this stretch than the 70 mph freeway. I know I do.

NJ

AWESOME, thanks NJ!

That bottle house is FAR OUT!

How interesting that such a considerable portion of Route 66 follows the ATSF railroad so closely...sort of indicative of how closely interknit transportation & commerce were in Route 66's heyday.

My aunt & uncle are big Route 66 aficianados, and last year or the year before they finished driving the final leg of the entire route; a nice accomplishment for them! They of course had a blast doing it.

I've always been fascinated with the abandoned portions of Route 66, especially through Cajon Pass (along I-15) in California.

Thanks NJ!! Great photos!
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
    --Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoa*alysis (1952)

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Johnson View Post
    I had to wait for the BNSF train to show up in that one photo, but I did it just for Don. This is my kind of highway and I'm pretty sure most of you guys would rather drive this stretch than the 70 mph freeway. I know I do.

NJ
    Are those Santa Fe special Dash 9's?
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
    --Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoa*alysis (1952)

Thread Information