Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woman Dies In Mine Accident

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Woman Dies In Mine Accident

According to the news today, a 30 year-old woman's body has just been recovered from a mine here in Kern County, California.

http://blog.drivinglaws.org/2009/11/...tun-peak-mine/

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Any idea as to why she was there or how she fell in to the mine?

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Usually when unfortunate accidents like this occur, it serves to add fuel to the BLM and Forest Service's fire to get more funding to "reclaim" old mines and close access off to these areas....all in the name of "protecting us from ourselves"

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Darin View Post
    Any idea as to why she was there or how she fell in to the mine?

I heard she was exploring. But she was obviously inexperienced and could have been alone. Not a good combination for ANY type outing. Backup is a must for most outdoor adventures, but especially for mine exploration.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA View Post
    Usually when unfortunate accidents like this occur, it serves to add fuel to the BLM and Forest Service's fire to get more funding to "reclaim" old mines and close access off to these areas....all in the name of "protecting us from ourselves"

True, Laura.
    However CA is on the verge of bankruptcy, and any projects like that will be waaaaaay down the list.

INYOKERN, Calif. (Map, News) -
    Crews have recovered the body of 30-year-old Ridgecrest woman who died after a fall down an abandoned mine shaft.
    Kern County authorities say Linda Marie Rose fell 100 feet around 2 p.m. Sunday while exploring the shaft at the Tungsten Peak Mine in Inyokern.
    Sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Mark Baldwin says when rescue crews were able to get to Rose about two hours later, she was pronounced dead.
    Her body was brought to the surface using a system of ropes.
    - Wolfgang -

This is why I go into mines with Mojave Underground. They're professionals and teach about mine safety. The public needs a lot more education on how to stay safe in and around mines, not destroy them like Utah is so enthusiastically doing. I swear I hate this state. They don't care about any part of their history unless it pertains to the Mormons. If it doesn't, they destroy it. They should be proud of ALL of their history and preserve it.
    Rachel in Utah ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com
    It's not fun 'till I get hurt!

And just for the record, personally I think wearing 4 inch stilettos, drinking 6 shots of Jager and trying to walk down stairs is more dangerous than going into a mine. I've never hurt myself in a mine but by golly beware of those nightclubs! They'll getcha!
    Rachel in Utah ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com
    It's not fun 'till I get hurt!

I have to agree; I'd rather scale & descend an unstable, crumbling vertical shaft with my bare hands, than to have to try to wear any kind of heels....
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
    --Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoa*alysis (1952)

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by silverstate55 View Post
    I have to agree; I'd rather scale & descend an unstable, crumbling vertical shaft with my bare hands, than to have to try to wear any kind of heels....
    They're not so bad once you get used to em'.

<
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Thread Information