Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Woman Dies In Mine Accident

Oh those don't have anything on my four inch stilettos, come on! I know you can do better than that, LOL!
    Rachel in Utah ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com
    It's not fun 'till I get hurt!

dwinslow is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_town_huntress View Post
    Oh those don't have anything on my four inch stilettos, come on! I know you can do better than that, LOL!
    Yeah, come on Vulture, let's see what ya look like in 4 inch heels!
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California
    Ghost Town Web site:http://www.donwinslow.net/Ghost%20Towns.html

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA View Post
    Usually when unfortunate accidents like this occur, it serves to add fuel to the BLM and Forest Service's fire to get more funding to "reclaim" old mines and close access off to these areas....all in the name of "protecting us from ourselves"
    Unfortunately while there are still morons like this who endanger themselves by sheer stupidity, can you blame BLM.

I don't agree with it, but sadly it is these types that cause these types of actions being taken. Personally, I have more sympathy for the rescuers who had to risk their lives due to this persons idiotic (and deadly) actions.

Cool Unfortunate Accident, Yes. Moron & Idiotic, Think Twice.

Quote Originally Posted by WadeVC View Post
    Unfortunately while there are still morons like this who endanger themselves by sheer stupidity, can you blame BLM.

I don't agree with it, but sadly it is these types that cause these types of actions being taken. Personally, I have more sympathy for the rescuers who had to risk their lives due to this persons idiotic (and deadly) actions.
    Dang........a little harsh in calling this person a moron and not being on site when the accident happened don't you think. According to the family she had taken her nephew to the mine, which was not far from her home, to show him the dangers of the area with all the mines that are scattered about. They say she was not exploring the mine, but was standing at the rim with her nephew when she fell in. It has also been mentioned that this mine had been closed in, but apparently someone had removed the door that was set below ground level. But,a s with all incidents/stories, I'm sure there is more than one version. This is not the first nor will it be the last deadly incounter with a mine in the Mojave area (or any area).

I have to agree with Wade, she's an idiot. Why stand so close to the rim of the mine? What point was she making?

Sorry, LoneRanger, I am not attacking you in any way. I just did some reading in regards to a local case, involving the Argentena Mine outside Goodsprings. It seems that in October of 2002 some computer geeks were playing "The Game" and one of their clues was hidden near the Argentena Mine; one of the nerds went into the wrong mine adit while looking for the "clue" and was relying on the glow from his hand-held GPS unit as his only source of light. Well, you know what happens next, the dimwit fell down a winze shaft and is now a quadriplegic. His lawyer did some digging and found a paper owner for the Argentena Mine, and of course they sued. A settlement ended the case, but part of the agreement was to block off public access to the Argentena Mine. For all their school smarts, those techno-nerds sure are stupid when it comes to common sense.

As the TV Adman says, "But wait, that's not all!" It also helped to spur a large volunteer movement throughout southern Nevada to block off access to ALL abandoned mines...so some of them are barred by welded metal gates or blasted shut (Arden Plaster, one of my all-time favorites).

As a result, folks like us are punished for the stupidity of others...those of us who understand the risks & take the measures necessary to be safe, are punished alongside the morons. My profession involves working with these morons EVERY DAY; I am expected to solve in 15 minutes or less what it took them a lifetime to screw up. And after doing it for 23 years, I'm TIRED of dealing with these idiots! It's these kind of people who ruin our fun.

Sorry, but I have no sympathy for her...she had no business getting that close to the mine shaft. I wonder if she was willing to hold her hand or leg out to a rattlesnake to illustrate the danger they pose? Or her hand inside a lion's cage? Sorry, but it just sounds to me like she's stupid and paid the ultimate price for her stupidity.
    Last edited by silverstate55; 01-16-2010 at 08:07 PM.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
    --Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoa*alysis (1952)

Where is Don when we need him? He has posted a number of photo's of this area and may very well know this exact mine shaft. That is the problem with mine shafts---they are cliffs without the dramatic warning signs called a scary view.

NJ
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

dwinslow is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Johnson View Post
    Where is Don when we need him? He has posted a number of photo's of this area and may very well know this exact mine shaft. That is the problem with mine shafts---they are cliffs without the dramatic warning signs called a scary view.

NJ
    This happened at the Tungstun Peak Mine which is a mile south of Highway 395 & Highway 14. I don't remember if some of those photos I posted were up that far. Most of what I posted from that area were near Red Mountain, Randsburg and Garlock.
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California
    Ghost Town Web site:http://www.donwinslow.net/Ghost%20Towns.html

Default It could happen

[QUOTE=bad bob;44746]According to the news today, a 30 year-old woman's body has just been recovered from a mine here in Kern County, California.

[QUOTE=bad bob;44746]According to the news today, a 30 year-old woman's body has just been recovered from a mine here in Kern County, California.

While I realize that most on this board are experienced in mine exploration, Iím sure each of you can remember the first mine you went exploring. Whether it was with another experienced explorer showing you the ropes or as a kid out exploring with your friends you all had a first time. In California, the property owner is liable for whatever happens on their property but who was the real idiot, the property owner for not securing the mine or the poor girl who fell to her death because the mine wasnít secured? Iím a bit familiar with the desert having spent my summers in the Ridgecrest/Inyokern area, itís an explorers dream but to call someone an idiot for falling to her death is a bit harsh. Where is your empathy for someone who lost their life to an unforeseen accident? Was it the smartest move to be standing on the edge of the mine, no. Was it the smartest move of the landowner not to secure the mine, no, however I would call neither an idiot. If this had been your loved one..........

And I may add, Linda was with her mother and brother and all had experience in mine exploring. She had stepped closer to the entrance of the mine to get a better look and the ground gave way. This was the information her mother, my cousin, had relayed to my aunt. An idiot, no, but I would call it a very unfortunate accident that could have happened to any of us.

Kasey,

My sympathies. Whether it is mine exploration or just any outdoor exploration, there are dangers that one needs to be aware of or at least consider that our wild lands have situations that can imperil ones life. Civilization probably holds greater danger to life. Enjoy it while you can and be kind to others.

NJ
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

Thread Information