Thread: Planning a trip in CA

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Planning a trip in CA

Originally posted by Jennifer

: I'm planning to make a short and cheap trip to check out some ghosttowns in California and maybe Nevada. I'll be making the token trip to Bodie and I want to know some other can't miss places to visit with two kids, an unenthused husband, and no 4X4. Any suggestions?

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Planning a trip in CA

Originally posted by David A. Wright

: Depends on when you're planning on coming out. If before May, forget Bodie. Snow and lots of it (if we ever get out of this danged dry spell!). Bodie is technically open to the public in winter, but from the description of your family, snowmobiles are out of the picture.

: Other places anytime of the year could be California Highway 49 through the Mother Lode country. In Nevada, Virginia City and surrounding towns. Also Austin, Eureka, maybe even Belmont.

Originally posted by kathy

: I agree, David. We found Austin and Belmont to

: be very interesting. But, I'd suggest you have a

: detailed map to find your way to Belmont. We loved

: getting lost, but others might not have.

Originally posted by Coach Bodie

: Like David said Virginbia City is a good bet. Just a scenic drive over the Sonora Pass is Columbia, CA. Also a very good bet!!!

: : I'm planning to make a short and cheap trip to check out some ghosttowns in California and maybe Nevada. I'll be making the token trip to Bodie and I want to know some other can't miss places to visit with two kids, an unenthused husband, and no 4X4. Any suggestions?

Originally posted by HERB ROBBINS

:

: : I'm planning to make a short and cheap trip to check out some ghosttowns in California and maybe Nevada. I'll be making the token trip to Bodie and I want to know some other can't miss places to visit with two kids, an unenthused husband, and no 4X4. Any suggestions?

: YES I DO! CHECK OUT GOLDPOINTGHOSTTOWN.COM WE HAVE A LOT TO SEE AND DO. LOTS OF PLACES TO VISIT IN THE BACK COUNTRY WITH 2WD.

Originally posted by Richard Elliott

: Jennifer,

: If you go south along Rt. 395 near Lone Pine, then you must see Cerro Gordo (but if summer it could be hot, and too early in year , snowy, for at 9,000'). Route 49 (Gold Chain Highway--Gold Rush Country is best to see many interesting places, when you are travelling with people who are disinterested and maybe they will "turn on" to the sites and history along RT49) Look in book stores for ghost town books in travel section--there are many. Plan well before going and others may be happier as you travel a well-planned route and trip. Best to know a lot about a place before you go there, so it becomes "alive" on your visit. Welcome to CA. Have fun!

Thread Information