Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mule Hoof Bend, Gila County, AZ

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Mule Hoof Bend, Gila County, AZ

We decided to ditch the turkey in exchange for visiting the ghost town, Mule Hoof Bend, located high above Salt River Canyon, Gila County, Arizona.
    It's well worth seeing, lots of remains, although the entire little town is wrapped in asbestos, inside and out all the structures are covered in an asbestos-type adobe, disintegrating and in the process of decaying into oblivion. I image the forest service would have bulldozed the site by now except for the fact that asbestos removal would be an expensive proposition, lucky for us that it still remains for us to see.
    Mule Hoof Bend has a sordid past, the successful mine owner, Guy Phillips was murdered in his home there, his wife Ruby Mae was charged with the crime. She was tried twice, the first trial ending in a hung jury, the second trial, she was acquitted. So many people disliked Guy Phillips, a lot of people, including the jury, thought that most anyone could have committed the murder.
    I've got to thank fellow forum member/friend, dadbruns for checking out the road and letting me know that it was just fine. I've got a miserable fear of heights and knew the road ran along the canyon edge, he assured me it was okay by sending some photos of the trail in advance of our visit. Thanks so much dadbruns.
    For those of us who get excited over crumbling buildings and collapsing mine shafts, it's a worthwhile trip with some of the most breathtaking scenery we've ever seen.
    We came home and had steak dinners, so neener neener neener to those of you who overate on turkey yesterday.

Spectacular views along the way

Name:  Mule Hoof Bend Thanksgiving Day 005.jpg
Views: 2176
Size:  79.6 KB

The jail located in the basement of one of the buildings
    Name:  Mule Hoof Bend Thanksgiving Day 011.jpg
Views: 2224
Size:  70.4 KB

Mule Hoof Bend among the cedar trees
    Name:  Mule Hoof Bend Thanksgiving Day 014.jpg
Views: 2307
Size:  70.5 KB

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

.... some more pics

The scene of the crime
    Name:  Mule Hoof Bend Thanksgiving Day 006.jpg
Views: 2712
Size:  36.5 KB
    another house with crumbling asbestos walls
    Name:  Mule Hoof Bend Thanksgiving Day 016.jpg
Views: 3247
Size:  74.8 KB

Phillips Asbestos Mine
    Name:  Mule Hoof Bend Thanksgiving Day 032.jpg
Views: 2817
Size:  59.1 KB

Tailings from Phillips Mine, the entire hill is honeycombed with mine shafts.
    Name:  Mule Hoof Bend Thanksgiving Day 043.jpg
Views: 2068
Size:  31.7 KB

.... it seems even the detective rags of the day covered the infamous shooting. We'll probably never know who really committed the crime since both Guy and Ruby Mae Phillips are both deceased and anyone left, isn't talking.

Name:  retouched ruby.jpg
Views: 2084
Size:  84.6 KB

Name:  02a.JPG
Views: 2127
Size:  49.7 KB

Nice shots LauraA. I was breezing through a list of mines I found on the internet yesterday and came across Mule Hoof mine, I believe.

I will have to look and see if it was the same place....sure sounds like it.
    On another note, what is with the solar panels by the abandon buildings? Is someone living there?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob "Shifty Eyed" Waltz View Post
    On another note, what is with the solar panels by the abandon buildings? Is someone living there?
    No, nobody is living there, the solar panels run the pump to bring water to the cattle roaming all over the area.

Can you tell me how to get there? I'm having a hard time finding out much about the location. I know where Mule Hoof Bend is on the river but one source says to take FR 1302 but I can't find it on the map.

Thanks, Bang
    Last edited by AZBang; 11-27-2009 at 03:41 PM.
    Gran Gran keeps a box of spiders.
    She says they're on me when I sleep.
    Waiting in the out-house for me.
    underneath the seat.

Nice find and and an interesting story. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by AZBang View Post
    Can you tell me how to get there? I'm having a hard time finding out much about the location. I know where Mule Hoof Bend is on river but one source says to take FR 1302 but I can't find it on the map.
    Thanks, Bang
    Yep, coming from Globe on Hwy 60 take the left turn at the sign that says "Seneca" make a quick right in front of the abandoned filling station. Stay on that road, you'll pass Seneca Lake on your left, keep going, you'll come to FS 1302, stay on that all the way.
    Enjoy!

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Pretty neat Laura. Great pictures, a true life horror story & the actual scene of the crime. Steaks for T'day??? Not the traditional fare but, whatever gets you through the night.

<
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Really cool, Laura, thanks.......Speedy

Thread Information