Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Southeast King County, Washington

Krain (Semi-Ghost)

Krain (also known as Krain Corner) was founded around a crossroads in the farming region north of Enumclaw. A church at one time stood, along with a cemetery that still exists, which dates to approximately 1901. An inn and restaurant also still stands at the main intersection, and has been in operation since 1916.

I apologize for the photo quality, the sun was low in the winter sky, and I did my best to edit out what glare I could.

A gas station which stands kitty-corner to the inn:

An abandoned home also at the main crossroads:
    Easily distracted.

Current distraction: Railroad Depots

Selleck is creapy... same thing, we drove through on a Sunday around 3:30pm.... I don't think I ever felt more eyes on me in my life. The wife and i were getting worried, she swore she heard banjo music...

Just a guess, but the quarry looks like it was probably for ballast on the RR, but could have been for general aggragate production. Appears the rock was not too hard and would crush easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Just a guess, but the quarry looks like it was probably for ballast on the RR, but could have been for general aggragate production. Appears the rock was not too hard and would crush easily.
    That sounds like a quite plausible theory to me. I know the Milwaukee Road had a similar facility at Ragnar on the approaches to Snoqualmie Pass.
    Easily distracted.

Tsarevna is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Very nice pictures, thanks for sharing.

Proving that the hunt for information always continues to provide results, I have an update.

I can confirm that the "mystery store" on the first page of this thread is what is left of Durham. And in fact, at one time it was a gas station with a large sign that advertised another vanished community to the west known as Elk Coal.

Goes to show, you never know what you're going to find.
    Easily distracted.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairlane500 View Post
    On to the next little sawmill community:

Preston
    In 1896, the Preston Shingle Mill moved its site to a community known as Saint Louis in the hills to the east of present day Issaquah, and the town was renamed in favor of the sawmill, becoming Preston. In 1901, a sawmill was added nearby at at area known as Upper Preston.
    The operation at Upper Preston suffered numerous fires and a major flood, and closed in 1932, but the original operation, which had also added a sawmill, continued operations until closing in 1992, when the property was sold to King County.
    Today numerous historic buildings from the surrounding company town remain, and Preston continues to live on as a bedroom community for nearby Bellevue and Seattle.

An old barn at Preston:

A row of company houses:

The community hall, built in 1939 as a WPA project:

The Raging River Community Church in Preston:
    These photos and information are dear to my heart. I grew up in Upper Preston, and our home had been the company store during the years of the sawmill having business up there. We were right next to the area where the old school was still standing. Before its demise, it was at the very least the location of the Ground Observer Corp phone station. The old gym, wood shed, and industrial arts buildings were also still there, although boarded up. What adventures we had as children, living there.

Thread Information