Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tahquitz Mining District

Sunrise is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Awesome find! Looks like the prototypical for countless movies.

Amazing photos, really! Thanks! And so close to us...we'll have to try and find it when it warms up...
    Josta

Big Bear Lake, CA

Yeah, I know, I messed up the thread, but someone warned me that I had said too much, so that looters could be tipped off.

My bad.

NJ
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

We visited this mine last week and it remains unchanged except for the now-lack of snow on the ground. We found doors that were apparently earlier used in an attempt to seal it, but they were pulled off the hinges; one of them can be seen in Norm's picture of the "Y" in the rails inside, and another was used as a "bridge" across the creek at the back of the mine.

Many of these mines in this area were, according to the book, "The San Jacintos", worthless or near worthless. A lot of them were "salted" by using gold dust-filled shotgun shells, shot into the walls of the mine to give the appearance of gold being in the walls to dupe "investors".
    Name:  IMG_1905.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  96.9 KB
    Last edited by josta; 07-19-2010 at 04:45 PM.
    Josta

Big Bear Lake, CA

Quote Originally Posted by josta View Post
    Many of these mines in this area were, according to the book, "The San Jacintos", worthless or near worthless. A lot of them were "salted" by using gold dust-filled shotgun shells, shot into the walls of the mine to give the appearance of gold being in the walls to dupe "investors".
    Ahh, the good old days! When a swindle could be so simple...now it's evolved into BIG business. Huge corporations and our government in cohoots together...a guy just can't compete anymore! Attachment 6144

It is good to see that the place hasn't changed in the last year. The mountains are nice right now. We had just the right amount of rainfall at the right times so that this year's wildflowers have been the best in a long time.

NJ

Below is an orchid, Piperia transversa, that was abundant under the pines last weekend in Idyllwild. It was the first time I had ever seen one.

Name:  Orchid.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  51.4 KB
    Last edited by Norman Johnson; 07-19-2010 at 08:22 PM.
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

Any chance you are willing to share more details on location? Going to be exploring that area this weekend and would love to check it out. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Johnson View Post
    I agree. And the weird thing is, that the mine is fifty feet from a county road in a well traveled area. Why isn't that ore cart in somebody's front yard right now?

NJ

Quote Originally Posted by lrp1025 View Post
    Any chance you are willing to share more details on location? Going to be exploring that area this weekend and would love to check it out. Thanks!

The area was devastated by a fire several years ago, but before that most of the mining equipment including the cart had disappeared. There are probably places much more interesting to visit. Send me a private message.

Norm

Thread Information