Thread: 100+ Yr Old Adobe Home in New Mexico Ghost Town for sale.

Default 100+ Yr Old Adobe Home in New Mexico Ghost Town for sale.

The Home sits at one of the highest elevations and on the old dirt road in the small hidden ghost town of Cuchillo, NM. Cuchillo is located 12 miles from Truth or Consequences, New Mexico, and 8 Miles from Elephant Butte Lake, New Mexico's largest lake, and not far from the Spaceport America. It is also near Amazing Hot Springs(12miles), the Rio Grande River(12miles), Elephant Butte Lake(9miles), Gila National Forest(30miles), Cibola National Forest(25miles), Caballo Lake(22miles), Winston(27miles), Chloride(30miles), Monticello(12miles), Interstate 25(8miles)...and only 2 hours north of El Paso, Tx, and 2 hours south of Albuquerque, NM.
    Cuchillo is on the Geronimo Trails Scenic Byway. It is set in a serene valley with a small creek that runs during the late summer New Mexico monsoons. Although considered a 'ghost town' it's population is about 35 people, made of mostly retirees, artists, farmers, ranchers and locals. It is very rural and quiet, and it is not unlikely to see deer, hawks, eagles, javelina, fox, owls, roadrunners, and so much more.

The 100 year old adobe home in New Mexico
    is 3 bedrooms / 1 ba, and has a large closet, and built in wardrobe, laundry room, kitchen, living room, utility room, and work shed. The kitchen has been partially remodeled with new tile floors and counters, and a pressed tin backsplash. The Antique Clawfoot tub and the antique wood burning stove stays with the home. I have used this wood burning stove 2 winters and can heat the whole home with it, and cook a roast too! (there is also a propane heater). Interior Space is at 1250sqft, Yet the home's footprint is over 2000 Sq. Ft. with it's wrap around screened in porch, 2 car garage , and adobe shed(all have power). The Facade of the home faces south allowing for great use of passive solar design when heating in the mild New Mexico winters. And with most walls being 12-18 inches thick, the home stays cool in the summer (there is also an evaporative cooler installed).

The roof is metal is recent and in great shape, which is important with these old adobe homes. The home is built into a hillside and has a cute front yard with an apricot tree, pomegranate tree, many large and small agave plants, and natural desert brush and cactus. There is enough room to park an RV. The front of the home also has a well house, with a new pump and pressure tank. The hot water heater is also new. The back of the home is framed in and built in the 1950's as an addition to the original adobe structure. The home was owned for many decades by the Apodaca family, who were early owners of the Old Cuchillo Bar and Store, and then by Jose Romero, who also owned the Old Cuchillo Bar and Store for over 24 years. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks.

How much are you asking?

...the adobe home for sale in NM is priced at $115,000. I need to sell it to continue with the restoration of the old saloon/General store/ post office that burned aboot 10 years back. These buildings date to the mid 1800's when it was a stagecoach stop. The property for sale as well as the Old Cuchillo Bar property have been confirmed haunted by several ghost investigation groups in the southwest...I have many strange unexplainable things happen, but stay a bit cynical to keep my sanity...I have much more work to do here in order to save these historic buildings and don't want to spook myself too bad!

Thread Information