Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Modern Ghost Town in Oregon? Any class C Ghost Towns?

Default Modern Ghost Town in Oregon? Any class C Ghost Towns?

Hello,

I have a group of friends who are looking for more of an modern ghost town in Oregon with a population of zero. Something that was abandoned from 1925 or later. Does anybody know of one?

Also, are there any ghost towns in Oregon that have structures where the population is zero with access? I've searched through the county map but there doesn't seem to be any info on rather or not a town is completely abandoned for not. A quick look through wikipedia shows that most of the towns on the map with structures actually have residents. For example, Antelope has over 50.

If there aren't any in Oregon, how about Southern Washington or Northern California?

We really like the idea of visiting someplace where it is completly empty.

Thanks!

Coos Bay is close.

There are a ton of towns that are now abandoned since 1925 - but unfortunately have no buildings in the Christmas Valley region. About a dozen different towns popped up in anticipation of a post WWI plan to build an irrigation c**** from the Columbia River 200 miles south to the area. The Great Depression and WWII destroyed any hopes of that happening.

The best I can think of off hand is Lime, but even then not a lot is left other then the plant. The town itself only had a school and a few homes standing last time I saw it.

Unfortunately for Ghost Towning, at least in Oregon, the population boom of the past 20 years is actually keeping a lot of small towns up and going that should have died years ago.
    Pacific Northwest Ghost Town Travel Blog: http://pnwphotoblog.com/ghost-towns/
    Ghost Town Map: http://ghosttownmap.com/

Tsarevna is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Golden is a great class C. One of the best in Oregon.

You take the Wolf Creek exit off of I-5. Drive east of Wolf Creek down Coyote Creek Rd a mile or 2 and you will see it on your left. Standing church, a few homes, store, and some outbuildings. 100% abandoned. Behind the ghost town is one lot of private property which may or may not have a full time resident. (That area is fenced off.)

The town itself is visitable, and open to the public. Extensive environmental damage south of the town from hydro-mining can be seen.

The last time I was there, one of the historic houses was so dilapedted and rickety it looked to fall down any moment. If you ever drive I-5 from California/Oregon, STOP BY. You will be glad you did.

http://www.historicgolden.org/index.asp

Beaverhill oregon,between coos bay and coquille ore on beaver slough near coledo ,it was a coal mining town until about 1925, about 900 people lived there during its hey day,I planted grass seed there as a teenager, nothing was there except the main street a few mines railroad track an old dump with lots and lots of old bottles and cans and rusty iron.we pulled a pick out of one of the mines, the small gauge tracks still ran into the shaft and a small coal cart was still inside the wheels were rusted so it couldnt roll. this was in 1964 the land belonged to Maurice Morris and he was going to use it as a pasture,we planted grass seed for two months there,we found a lot of neat things there. there were no buildings left and the road in was heavily planted with grass seed

campp is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the Class system I see referenced above? Class C? What does that mean? I must have missed that memo.

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Maybe this will help!

campp is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Hmmm, not many Cs around here

Tsar, I love Golden... and Spyder, awesome info about Beaverhill.

Wonderflex, did you find what you are looking for? have you looked up Cornucopia? it is a neat place.... permanant population should be zero, there are a couple cabins folks use for hunting, etc......

even in the most abandoned places, like a recent trip I made to Melmont, Wa, there are still folks around.... be careful! some people are very protective of their land, even if it is abandoned, and there are some bad folks out there doing bad stuff as well....

Quote Originally Posted by spyder View Post
    Beaverhill oregon,between coos bay and coquille ore on beaver slough near coledo ,it was a coal mining town until about 1925, about 900 people lived there during its hey day,I planted grass seed there as a teenager, nothing was there except the main street a few mines railroad track an old dump with lots and lots of old bottles and cans and rusty iron.we pulled a pick out of one of the mines, the small gauge tracks still ran into the shaft and a small coal cart was still inside the wheels were rusted so it couldnt roll. this was in 1964 the land belonged to Maurice Morris and he was going to use it as a pasture,we planted grass seed for two months there,we found a lot of neat things there. there were no buildings left and the road in was heavily planted with grass seed
    Ahh that explains that building on North Bank Road. It must have been related to the coal mining operation.

I've never heard f Coledo though, I found one reference to it in an Obituary though. Do you know anything more about it?
    Pacific Northwest Ghost Town Travel Blog: http://pnwphotoblog.com/ghost-towns/
    Ghost Town Map: http://ghosttownmap.com/

Thread Information