Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where is ghost town Centralia(Hernando county,FL) ?????

Exclamation Where is ghost town Centralia(Hernando county,FL) ?????

Where the heck is the ghost town Centralial??? I have lived here in Hernando county for seven years now and have explored all the woods near Tooke Lake and Whiteherst pond with no such luck......Has any one actually been there and knows the exact location.....I cant seem to find any reliable sources.....I would love to explore the old gost town my self.....

Thanks,
    Steve

Default Centralia Ghost Town

The area is in the middle of the intersection of Centralia Rd and Hwy 19. If you want to go to the sawmill site I will take you there. It has been raped by metal detector diggers and the local archaeolists really don't want the location broadcast. I would love to go there again and this is the best time since it is colder and the snakes and mosquitos are no where to be found.

Contact me throught ghost town email and give me you number or email and I will get in touch with you about a trip in the woods.

Mike Woodfin

Ok.....Awesome!!!! Will do......I was actually out there looking this holiday weekend with no luck.....

Default Old Centralia Pics

Here are a few pics from the Hernando County History website that might be interesting.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Very cool!!! I emailed ya...... Thanks again!!!

Default More Centralia Florida Pictures

Pictures of this town are hard to find. Most times you have to haunt the local historical societies to see if any old photos still exist.

Here is the old Boarding House

Name:  CentraliaBoardingHouse.jpg
Views: 6652
Size:  95.2 KB

Can you believe that there ever were trees this large in Florida?

Name:  CentraliaCypress.jpg
Views: 6560
Size:  97.0 KB

Old Water Tower
    Notice the size of the cut log at the base of the tower

Name:  CentraliaWaterTower.jpg
Views: 6621
Size:  92.2 KB

All of these pictures are courtesy of the Hernando County Historical Society in Brooksville, FL and Virginia Jackson, Historian

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Log #5416 really gets around!

I'm thinkin' it was the ONLY tree in Florida.

Default Centralia, FL trip

A friend and I took a couple of fellow GT’rs to the ghost town of Centralia Sunday afternoon. It was unusually cold. For Florida the low 30’s with wind is enough to irritate anyone, but we went out in the woods anyway. At least the cold would keep the snakes in their burrows and the mosquitoes away. I cannot say the same for the huge banana spiders, however.

Name:  Centralia Sawmill.jpg
Views: 8605
Size:  57.1 KB

Centralia, a sawmill town from the early 1800’s, was clear cut and completely barren of trees back in the day. However in almost 100 years the oaks, palmetto scrubs, pines, vines have just about taken over and have plunged the site into darkness.

I promised the local archeologist that I would not give out the exact location or GPS coordinates for the mill since, the metal detector guys have pretty much raped the site of artifacts and the State has been able to do little about it. (Except they did jail one poacher a few years back) There is a huge fine for taking anything off the site, so we were especially diligent to leave anything we found.

Now, all that can be found are some of the foundations of the Centralia sawmill, which was at one time was the largest mill in the State of Florida. The town population hovered from 1500 to 2000 people. There were houses, church, school, huge general store, movie theatre called the Flicker Palace, and a railroad depot that had a small gauge railroad on one side and a regular gauge on the other. They just transferred items from one side of the depot landing to the other side.

This was my 4th trip out to the site and was pretty confident I could locate the area in the forest. Not! The area has changed a bit since my last visit and I got my bearings off. We walked around for about an hour. Finally, after nearly losing my temper, I located the log holding pond and I knew we were close. I told Steve, one of the guests, to go down in the dry pond and walk the circumference. If find any concrete give out a holler.

Name:  DSCF0001 (800x533).jpg
Views: 6212
Size:  99.3 KB

The concrete log flume, for hauling the floating logs up into the mill, should be somewhere on the edge. After about 10 minutes I heard a “found it”. “This is so cool”.

We followed the concrete flume up out of the pond and walked straight into the pilings of the sawmill.

Name:  DSCF0021 (533x800).jpg
Views: 5930
Size:  93.5 KB

Scattered were the small concrete pilings we all know that held up the floorboards. In the distance we saw the huge concrete structures that I assume might have held one of the saws. At one section was an obvious brick wall foundation with a huge pile of rubble near one end.

Name:  DSCF0013 (800x533).jpg
Views: 5987
Size:  95.7 KB

I know the sawmill was constructed mainly out of wood on concrete pilings, however the brick is a different structure that one person has theorized to be the possible train depot. We have no idea since we can find no picture to create a schematic floor plan of the area.

Name:  DSCF0017 (533x800).jpg
Views: 6107
Size:  90.4 KB

Never the less, when we were making our way east toward the sound of trucks on Hwy 19, I overheard one of the guys tell the other; “This is the coolest thing I have ever done.”

I agree.

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Awesome post, Mike...and wonderful details and photos of the town.
    Thanks for braving the cold and banana spiders to share this with us!

Default Centralia

It was my pleasure!!!

Name:  BananaSpider.jpg
Views: 5691
Size:  28.4 KB

Thread Information