Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What equipment do you carry on you and/or have in your vehicles?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What equipment do you carry on you and/or have in your vehicles?

I'm fairly new to GT's/mine exploration, been doing it about a year or so. I don't own a 4x4 yet and have read the other topic of "What get's you there". But that thread doesn't include What you carry in your vehicle? So I'd like to know what you consider to me most important when out wheeling?

Also I'd like to know what you all are carrying on yourselves to go hiking as well as equipment? I take two flashlights, cell phone, knife, granola, lighter, hat and water. I haven't found a good water container or backpack yet - still looking

I was just curious as to what everyone takes and considers invaluable when out
    Reverend
    Tucson, Arizona
    lowered 2wd truck - stuck on pavement (for now)

dwinslow is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Water, water and more water. I do have a 4x4 so I have extraction equipment like shovels, tow straps and a winch. I also carry tools, first aid pack, and have 2 way radios (not CB's) and a cell phone. If it's a real rough spot to get to, I usually travel with another 4x4. Also make sure ya have good tires and before ya go, I have the Bronco checked out for mechanical stuff, serviced and have belts checked. My ghost town travels have taken me into some pretty deserted spots so I am little more careful than some. I also let someone know what area I'm going to. I also do research on the area that I'm going to.
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California
    Ghost Town Web site:http://www.donwinslow.net/Ghost%20Towns.html

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Depends on if I'm alone (especially one vehicle) or in a group and where I'm going. If alone I plan for the worse and load to the hilt with emergency equipment and spare parts. If in a group, then I skimp on some things like spare parts. But to me the bare minimum would be:

Water. At least 2 gallons for the vehicle (a 50/50 mix works better) and 1 gallon (potable) per person per day, and figure for at least 3 days longer than you're planning on being out. Most vehicles hold 3-4 gallons, but if you have a major leak, you'll have enough to get you back on the road. 1 gallon per person is a bare minimum, especially in a dry hot climate during the summer.

Spare tire, jack and necessary tools to change a flat. It sounds redundant, but be sure the tire is inflated properly and you have the key lock if you have a locking lug nut or hubcap. A can or two of fix a flat can help wonders too, but a plug kit is best. I have both. If you know the area is bad on tires, an extra spare is a good idea. I've killed a few tires in less than a 100 miles in cholla cacti infested areas.

Spare fuel, the more the better, but 5 gallons is likely enough. No matter how close to home you're going, it's always a good idea. I carry at least a 5 gallon and have found a use for it more than half the time out. Usually being a good guy and helping a stranded traveler who thought they had enough going out. Using 4wd burns more fuel than many are used to. Worse case you can use it start a camp fire if stranded and waiting for help, or even to top off if stranded and running the vehicle for warmth.

First aid kit. Only the wazoo high priced ones seem to have enough from the get go, but a decent one from anywhere is better than nothing. I usually compliment one with things that might come in extra handy like snake bite, bug bite, poison oak spray/lotion, etc.

Food for 3 days longer than your planned trip. Canned foods and cereal/granola bars don't take up much room and can be prepped easily to eat. Just be sure to take at least a military style can opener or have pop tops.

Survival kit. You can buy these all over, and many are quite good. With some time, you can build your own. Fire starters, mirror, flashlight, emergency blanket, knife, etc. I went to a survival class where the guy put his kit into a zip lock bag and used a food vacuum bag over it to make sure it was ultimately water proof. Thought that was a good idea.

Duct tape, bailing wire, spare vehicle fluids, quick set epoxy, ratchet strap. I've seen Jeeps with busted leaf springs and shackles duct tapped and bailing wired back together enough to get them home. Some leaks could even be glued, taped and wired to get you home if you got a little spare fluid.

Fire extinguisher rated for a vehicle, road flares. Road flares are handy for various things, and so are fire extinguishers if the flares get out of hand.

Probably more, I forget how much I pack away till I look though it. Those small black and red Rubbermaid totes Wal-Mart sells work great for getting everything into convenient packers. And what Don said about basic maintenance is key. I can't recall the number of times I have seen someone broken down with something as simple as a bald tire or broken worn out fan belt.
    Last edited by GaryB; 12-27-2009 at 11:16 PM. Reason: cause I can
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

campp is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

All good advise. Let me underline "Tell someone responsible where you are going and when you are coming out." It helps to draw a little map on where you are going so the authorities have a chance of finding you.

Jack, spare tire, and compressor.
    Map (on laptop), and gps.
    Gun and ammo.
    Duct tape, flashlight.
    Small tool set, hatchet and lighter.
    Plenty of beer and Spam.

Wife.
    Last edited by JoeZona; 12-28-2009 at 08:26 AM. Reason: forgot Wife - thanks for reminding me, Darin!

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

The wife (always travel with a buddy), camera, tripod, video recorder, tape or digital recorder, beer, aclimate clothing, knife, first aid kit, CB radio (both AM and SSB), FMRS radios, flares, compass, maps, spare shoes/socks, water, M.R.E.s (I'm a big Burt Gummer fan), tent, camp stove, coffee pot, toilet paper, porta-shower (with solar water bag) some sort of fire starter...just to name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeZona View Post
    Jack, spare tire, and compressor.
    Map (on laptop), and gps.
    Gun and ammo.
    Duct tape, flashlight.
    Small tool set, hatchet and lighter.
    Plenty of beer and Spam. :-)

Wife.
    Rubber of old Tire tube.Burns always,even if everything is wet
    Mirror
    Spot http://international.findmespot.com/
    lots of Humor

Hey Gary B. Just wanted to say how impressed I was while reading your suggestions for what to take on a trip into the wilds. Very well done and you reminded me of a few things as well.
    Good job, and thank you!
    Dave Blair

Great photos dwonslow. That represents a lot of time and effort. Thank you, John

I've usually taken my little Saturn ghost towning (surprisingly if you really know how to drive, you can get a car a lot of places you wouldn't think a car could go) but my Saturn needs some work done before I can even attempt to take it out again. As for water and a backpack, I got myself a camelback; it doesn't hold much other stuff but it holds enough. I put my Maglight, safety glasses, first aid kit, camera, cell phone, batteries, insulated water bladder and lunch in there and there is still room to put my gun or any relics or rocks that I find in there. I usually carry my rock hammer in the loop on mu overalls but sometimes it likes to fall out so lately I've been looking for a way to attach it to my pack. I usually like to carry my gun in a holster rather than my pack as well. We have a truck that we can take out but it's had so many problems off and on throughout the years that I've ended up having to take the car most times, but it's never failed me (except for the time when I blew a tire out by Newhouse, but that was more my fault for going too fast and my husband's fault for not putting the proper equipment back in the trunk for me to change the flat, LOL). Where are you located? And welcome to ghost towning! It's a lot of great fun!

Quote Originally Posted by rev View Post
    I'm fairly new to GT's/mine exploration, been doing it about a year or so. I don't own a 4x4 yet and have read the other topic of "What get's you there". But that thread doesn't include What you carry in your vehicle? So I'd like to know what you consider to me most important when out wheeling?

Also I'd like to know what you all are carrying on yourselves to go hiking as well as equipment? I take two flashlights, cell phone, knife, granola, lighter, hat and water. I haven't found a good water container or backpack yet - still looking

I was just curious as to what everyone takes and considers invaluable when out
    Rachel in Utah ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com
    It's not fun 'till I get hurt!

Thread Information