Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What equipment do you carry on you and/or have in your vehicles?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
    I keep a metric set of wrenches and sockets/ratchet ,...
    Though likely you already know what you need to bring, I just thought I'd pass along this.

As for tools, with modern vehicles, don't assume if your vehicle is American made you need SAE tools, if it's foreign you need metric. I found this out the hard way.

I run a 2002 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4WD pickup. I've seldom wrenched on it, but about a year ago replaced the battery. Just to get the old battery out and new on in required both SAE and metric tools. Even the battery hold down brace had one each 12mm and a 1/2" bolts! My Tacoma was built in the USA as are most Toyotas nowadays and I thought maybe this was just an anomoly. But talking with others, I've found that American vehicles have the same situation. A friend with a 2007 Jeep Wrangler JK has had the same experience.

So you might just check out a few nuts and bolts on your vehicle to make sure. It's a real pain because it requires nearly double the amount of tools necessary to carry when you have a mix of SAE and metric.
    David A. Wright
    Quote: "Happy Trails To You, Until We Meet Again!"

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

That also holds true for lug nuts (which some don't think about) as well. My 75 Chevy pick up has standard lugs but the wifes 04 Trail Blazer has metric....best to have a star wrench when travelling. Some are two standards, a metric and a flat to remove the cover, and others are a two standard and two metric sizes.

All you need is a metric set. Metric tools (a high quality set from craftsman ect, NOT some cheap Harbor Freight stuff) will fit on standard nuts bolts, BUT standard tools DO NOT fit metric. There is NO reason to carry 500lbs of tools.

A Long time ago - Anyone every hear of Whitworth - I learned that if you didn't have the right tool - you either improvished or were SOL. I also agree, don't carry 500Lbs of cheap crap that breaks when you need it! What I have is an canvas tool bag courtesy of my days in the service (And a couple more I've purchased for each vehicle and motorcycle I ventured in to the wild with). Whenever I work on a vehichle or bike I only use tools from its bag. If I need a tool I don't have in the bag, I make it, purchase (Snap-on or Craftsman ussually) or borrow from home tools (Which I then replace) and when done add it to the bag. I do have a bunch of bailing wire, duct tape, vise grips, asjustable jaws (Crescent Tool Company) and such for make do and helping others but for my stuff I have what it takes.

I also carry a small box which has rations and water for a few days, a HF ham radio and enough wire to Jerry Rig for help, provishing for keeping warm, making a fire (Chink of magnesium, knife, flint, and some dry tinder), first aid kit, and an AR-7 survical rifle. Total weight less than 75 pounds but in a pinch - glad I have it!
    Yet Another Bob

Hmmm whatch drive ,,a troop carrier

I carry a ccw because a cop is too heavy

Quote Originally Posted by JoeZona View Post
    Jack, spare tire, and compressor.
    Map (on laptop), and gps.
    Gun and ammo.
    Duct tape, flashlight.
    Small tool set, hatchet and lighter.
    Plenty of beer and Spam. :-)

Wife.
    Rubber of old Tire tube.Burns always,even if everything is wet
    Mirror
    Spot http://international.findmespot.com/
    lots of Humor

Presently Mexico but we will be re-locating to New Mexico shortly.

Say can some-one connected with those mine exploration groups e-mail me please??? I know there are many interesting \ long abandoned \ maybe haunted \ DANGEROUS old workings in New Mexico I am a fairly capable explorer but have not had much to do (YET) with abandoned mine workings.

Quote Originally Posted by rev View Post
    i'm fairly new to gt's/mine exploration, been doing it about a year or so. I don't own a 4x4 yet and have read the other topic of "what get's you there". But that thread doesn't include what you carry in your vehicle? So i'd like to know what you consider to me most important when out wheeling?

Also i'd like to know what you all are carrying on yourselves to go hiking as well as equipment? I take two flashlights, cell phone, knife, granola, lighter, hat and water. I haven't found a good water container or backpack yet - still looking

i was just curious as to what everyone takes and considers invaluable when out
    a .45 is all you need.

I finally started stocking my FJ up with tools, a good medical kit, hi-lift jack and recovery kit. I also just bought a 2 meter ham radio and CB to add.

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas_Nick View Post
    I finally started stocking my FJ up with tools, a good medical kit, hi-lift jack and recovery kit. I also just bought a 2 meter ham radio and CB to add.
    What kind of radios/antennas? I use a Cobra 148GTL/K40 on the '04 Trailblazer for the trips and FMRS handhelds for the wife and I when out in the "field". They really come in handy!!!

Thread Information