Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm thinking GPSs should be banned to peple in Oregon

Default I'm thinking GPSs should be banned to peple in Oregon

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

And to quote... "In hindsight, he said, he should have double checked the route against a paper map and packed extra formula for the baby. "We would be better prepared for the unknown," he said."

Not only should it be banned to people in Oregon, but to everyone. I for one hate 'em! Give me a AAA map, a Thomas Guide, or someone who knows the directions any day over trusting directions from something made by a person that has no clue about road changes, conditions, or even the fore-thought of knowing if the map that was downloaded into the unit is current enough for people to trust since they seem to be too dang lazy and rely on so called "current" technology to get them where they need to go before checking it out themselves. I for one am not afraid to strike up a conversation with a perfect stranger...what a concept!!!

"It's human to error...it's computer to screw up!" Of course we also live on the saying "Trust no one!" but hey, Tom Tom is not a person...it's a device so we should be able to trust it, right?

The real scary part is, we see movies about computers rebelling and taking over...HELLOOOOOOOO! Seems Garmin just tried to take out the human race.

(Okay, a lil over-done...but I still hate 'em!!!)

You're right.

A GPS is perfect for finding your position. On the other hand, trusting one to make decisions for you is just plain stupid.

Common sense isn't so common after all, is it?

I read an article that said the problem lies with aging satellites and weak GPS signals. That said, the advice to rely on paper maps to verify directions and to be prepared for emergencies is certainly good to keep in mind.

Yes, I read at least one of the couples was blaming the Air Force and GPS system for their stupidity. Here's what the Air Force has to say.
    And in case you think that isn't about the nuttiest thing you've ever heard, read this.
    Last edited by JoeZona; 01-02-2010 at 08:10 AM.

Oh come now! A GPS is only going to take you where you tell it to, if you don't take time to learn how
    to use it then you have no one to blame but your self. This also go's for maps, compass, info from Joe
    Blow at the gas station; sign's along the road and any where else you receive the direction's. People
    want some thing or someone else to do ALL there thinking for them because they are to lazy to take
    time to find out on there own and when things go wrong they want to put the blame on it/them
    instead of them selfs where it really belong's. My old pappy used to tell me " make sure your right
    then go ahead ". Good advice then; Good advice now !!

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by XT18000 View Post
    Oh come now! A GPS is only going to take you where you tell it to, if you don't take time to learn how
    to use it then you have no one to blame but your self. This also go's for maps, compass, info from Joe
    Blow at the gas station; sign's along the road and any where else you receive the direction's. People
    want some thing or someone else to do ALL there thinking for them because they are to lazy to take
    time to find out on there own and when things go wrong they want to put the blame on it/them
    instead of them selfs where it really belong's. My old pappy used to tell me " make sure your right
    then go ahead ". Good advice then; Good advice now !!
    Makes it that much easier for a lawsuit!
    (that was the first thing that came to mind)

We love having a GPS, but only an idiot(s) would not have the common sense to have some sort of an idea, and a map before heading off for parts unknown.

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

These are the same idiots that use sites like Mapquest and Google Maps to plan routes and ask for the shortest or fastest route and don't bother to check to see how valid the route is before using it. The Forest Service here shut down a gravel road between here and Alamo, NV due to the number of folks getting stuck in the dry lake playa trying to get to Area 51 faster in their rental cars.

GPS's are just like kids, driver licenses, guns and a few other things folks should have to pass a real test (maybe a EEG for good measure) on before having one.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

"Our devices don't know what the weather is," said Jessica Myers, spokeswoman for GPS manufacturer Garmin. "It's the responsibility of the driver to exercise common sense."
    There are only two problems with this-- responsibility and common sense are both extinct.

Thread Information