Thread: Mojave Road west of Soda Lake

Default Mojave Road west of Soda Lake

The Mojave Road book will take off-roaders from the Colorado River west to Soda Lake.

Is there any reference that shows where it goes from there?

I have relatives in Lenwood (just west of Barstow) that claim it crosses their property. With the help of Google Earth I can see the road they're referring to and can only follow it a couple of miles until it is erased by development in Lenwood.

I have also read about a historical marker about the Mojave Road as far southwest as the Tejon Pass area.

How can I find out where it went from the Tejon Pass to Soda Lake (or at least parts in between)?

dwinslow is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by shirohniichan View Post
    The Mojave Road book will take off-roaders from the Colorado River west to Soda Lake.

Is there any reference that shows where it goes from there?

I have relatives in Lenwood (just west of Barstow) that claim it crosses their property. With the help of Google Earth I can see the road they're referring to and can only follow it a couple of miles until it is erased by development in Lenwood.

I have also read about a historical marker about the Mojave Road as far southwest as the Tejon Pass area.

How can I find out where it went from the Tejon Pass to Soda Lake (or at least parts in between)?
    Did you mean Cajon Pass which is between Victorville and San Bernardino or the Tejon Pass which is up on the Grapevine, south of Bakersfield?
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California
    Ghost Town Web site:http://www.donwinslow.net/Ghost%20Towns.html

Oops, I meant the Cajon Pass. Fort Tejon is where the road (or at least a trail that the Camel Corps used) used to go.

I'm pretty sure the old Mojave Road ended at Barstow on the west. Other roads took off from there, but not the actual Mojave Road.

I saw the description of the following California Historical Landmark marker:
    "NO. 618 GARCÉS-SMITH MONUMENT - This monument marks an old Indian trail, the Mojave Trail, used by Father Garcés in March 1776 on his trip from Needles to San Gabriel. The same trail was used by Jedediah Smith in 1826 on his first trip through San Bernardino Valley."

I think it is near I-15 and CA-138, but there are no maps available to show where it is. I've tried calling the number listed on the site to no avail. (It says, "Call San Bernardino National Forest, Cajon Ranger District, 714/887-2576 for permission to view plaque and directions," but no one answers.)

dwinslow is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by shirohniichan View Post
    I saw the description of the following California Historical Landmark marker:
    "NO. 618 GARCÉS-SMITH MONUMENT - This monument marks an old Indian trail, the Mojave Trail, used by Father Garcés in March 1776 on his trip from Needles to San Gabriel. The same trail was used by Jedediah Smith in 1826 on his first trip through San Bernardino Valley."

I think it is near I-15 and CA-138, but there are no maps available to show where it is. I've tried calling the number listed on the site to no avail. (It says, "Call San Bernardino National Forest, Cajon Ranger District, 714/887-2576 for permission to view plaque and directions," but no one answers.)
    The ranger station that handles that is the Lytle Creek Station. I don't have the number handy but a call to the San Bernardino Nation Forest main number should get it for you.
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California
    Ghost Town Web site:http://www.donwinslow.net/Ghost%20Towns.html

OK, I see there is a subtle difference between Mohave Trail and Mohave Road.
    Here's something that may lead somewhere...

I wonder if the Mojave Trail connected with the Mojave Road, if they're not related or if they're different parts of the same thing.

Thread Information