Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Read a good book lately?

Default Read a good book lately?

I have finished reading Diary of a Sea Captain's Wife by Margaret H. Eaton. It is available, online, from the Santa Barbara Natural History Museum store. What a great book. It is a history of living in the fish camps on Santa Cruz Island in the early part of the Twentieth Century. The author writes well and really carried me along with her on this adventure. She tells first hand tales of storms at sea, ship wrecks, drownings, pirates, rum runners, hardship, lobsters, abalone harvests, raising a child on an isolated coast of an isolated island, and movie stars---Lionel Barrymore, Gloria Swanson, etc.

I recommend this book.

NJ
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

That book sounds really interesting. I enjoy reading about the history of a place written by someone that experienced it. Whenever I see an old building, mine, or other historic (or prehistoric) feature, I wonder what the story is behind it. These types of books help satisfy that curiosity.

A few years back I read this book. It was written by a woman and her family that lived in the Lanfair Valley in the Mohave Desert. I recommend it to anyone interested in the Mohave Desert and have ever seen the abandoned homesteads and wondered what it was like to live there. The book is available here: http://www.mdhca.org/

I will look that up. I love the eastern Mojave. Another good book from that area is Searchlight by Harry Reid. (Yes, that Harry Reid. Maybe a better writer than Senator.)

NJ
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

After reading a number of "heavier" books, I decided to try Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer. It details the life and death of Chris McCandless, an idealistic young man who overly-romanticized nature and died at its hands in the wilds of Alaska. After seeing Werner Herzog's Grizzly Man (a documentary about Timothy Treadwell's similarly hubristic life and death in Alaska), I've become interested in idealists whose simplistic notions lead to their deaths.

I also checked out Nothing Seemed Impossible: William C. Ralston and Early San Francisco by David Lavendar. Ralston's involvement in Comstock mining and the siphoning off of wealth to pay for the development of San Francisco at the expense of Nevada still fascinates me, and it has explained why the Carson City Mint right by the Comstock could never get enough bullion to mint to make full use of the facilities.

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Have you read The Good Book lately?

<
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

I mentioned this one before...The Man in the Cave by Colin Fletcher.

The author stumbles upon a cave in the 1960's and spends a couple of decades piecing together the history of the man that had lived there-Chuckawalla Bill.

Bill is a colorful character and sometimes miner...The remains of a stone house he built and lived in lies within Joshua Tree Park.

The book illustrates a time and culture that are well worth visiting.

Has anyone else read the book? Traveled to the property?

Tsarevna is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Willamette Landings: Ghost Towns of the River is great. (Howard McKinley Corning, 3rd ed.)

This guy was a poet and writer for Portland newspapers during the depression, and lost his job. Part of the government works programs included paying actors to act, editors to edit, artists to make art, and writers to write. People weren't asked to switch jobs or be re-trained just because the economy was slumped. I like this idea; the legacy we end up with are great works in historical/art/literature that otherwise would have never been produced.

Corning has a gift with words, and describes not only the ghost towns but the stories the old timers had of the towns. Stories from the riverboat captains and the great flood survivors.

campp is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Zardac, I read that book, it was very interesting and compelling. Colin Fletcher is my backpacking hero. The Man Who Walked Thru Time is fantastic also. Any serious hiker needs to read that one.

I am halfway through Explorations and Adventures in Arizona and New Mexico. But have taken time out to finish The Legendary King of San Miguel, a history of the Lester family on San Miguel Island in the Santa Barbara Channel. I just received in the mail Maruba, Homesteading in Lanfair Valley, which I am looking forward to reading.

NJ

Default I appreciate the recommendations...

Amazon has lightened my wallet to the tune of $100.

Thread Information