Thread: The Hunt for Susan Coon

Default The Hunt for Susan Coon

In 1860, Isaac and Susan Coon were guiding their covered wagon over the Lassen-Applegate Trail toward northern California one day out from the Humboldt River in north central Nevada. Susan was pregnant. At Antelope Spring, Susan went into labor and died giving birth to their son, Robert. She died never knowing the son she bore. A stone carver with the wagon train spent the night carving her headstone while her husband and others dug her grave.

In 1932, Robert E. Coon, now 72 years of age, was guided to the grave of the mother he never knew by a local trapper and resident.

In February, 2010 my wife and I visited the grave of Susan Coon, one of the few original remaining headstones over emigrant graves left on the Lassen-Applegate trail. The scene of human suffering, tragedy and powerful emotion. The sky was crying.

http://www.gbr.4wdtrips.net/trips/coon.html
    David A. Wright
    Quote: "Happy Trails To You, Until We Meet Again!"

David - Thank you for the link to your trip report. I have driven by on I/S 80 a number of times and looked over at Rye Patch Reservoir and had no idea of the pioneer story a few miles out in the sagebrush. I suppose there are in fact a lot of them, most resting in unmarked graves and lost to history.

dwinslow is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

What a great post. David, you outdid yourself on this one.
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California
    Ghost Town Web site:http://www.donwinslow.net/Ghost%20Towns.html

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I kind of wonder if the John Wayne movie The Searchers is based on this account.

Thanks for sharing your travelogue. It makes me wonder how many interesting sites I drive by all the time without having the least inkling about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin View Post
    I kind of wonder if the John Wayne movie The Searchers is based on this account.
    I'm not sure if it's the same movie, but John Wayne did a remake of the movie THE THREE GODFATHERS, filmed partly in Bodie. Same scenario, mother abandoned in covered wagon, dying after giving birth to a baby boy. Three bandits on the run after robbing a bank take the infant and try to get him to civilization. Two die along the way, the third dies after getting inside a church. The movie is described elsewhere in this forum several times. I have a copy. Shown on Turner Classic films now and then. A great way to see Bodie before the 1932 fire (I think the movie was filmed in 1929).
    David A. Wright

Quote Originally Posted by shirohniichan View Post
    Thanks for sharing your travelogue. It makes me wonder how many interesting sites I drive by all the time without having the least inkling about them.
    In reality, there's hidden history no matter where you are at any given moment. Even in downtown big cities, there is history - pre-city; early city; the city before WalMart built on the edge of town and the downtown core started decaying because all new construction went that-a-way ...
    David A. Wright

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Wright View Post
    I'm not sure if it's the same movie, but John Wayne did a remake of the movie THE THREE GODFATHERS, filmed partly in Bodie. Same scenario, mother abandoned in covered wagon, dying after giving birth to a baby boy. Three bandits on the run after robbing a bank take the infant and try to get him to civilization. Two die along the way, the third dies after getting inside a church. The movie is described elsewhere in this forum several times. I have a copy. Shown on Turner Classic films now and then. A great way to see Bodie before the 1932 fire (I think the movie was filmed in 1929).
    According to imdb, there were three versions of the film. There was a silent version in 1916, a "talkie" in 1936, and John Wayne's version in 1948. Does the 1916 version show up on TCM on occasion?

dwinslow is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by shirohniichan View Post
    According to imdb, there were three versions of the film. There was a silent version in 1916, a "talkie" in 1936, and John Wayne's version in 1948. Does the 1916 version show up on TCM on occasion?
    Ya'd be surprised at what names and info ya can find on this site. (imdb)
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California
    Ghost Town Web site:http://www.donwinslow.net/Ghost%20Towns.html

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Darin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Wright View Post
    Ethan (John Wayne) Edwards, returned from the Civil War to the Texas ranch of his brother, hopes to find a home with his family and to be near the woman he obviously but secretly loves. But a Comanche raid destroys these plans, and Ethan sets out, along with his 1/8 Indian nephew Martin, on a years-long journey to find the niece kidnapped by the Indians under Chief Scar. But as the quest goes on, Martin begins to realize that his uncle's hatred for the Indians is beginning to spill over onto his now-assimilated niece. Martin becomes uncertain whether Ethan plans to rescue Debbie...or kill her.

Thread Information