Thread: Cerro Gordo

Default Cerro Gordo

Does anyone know if Cerro Gordo is open to visit? Gonna take a motorcyle trip tomorrow and maybe see it again. I have been up their once and it was some **** nice turf. Appreciate any info or phone numbers to get the skinney on it.

I was in touch with some of the people who were close to Mike Patterson, the late owner, about a month ago. At the time they said that as of right now there is a caretaker at the townsite but they are not accepting visitors at this time. It is possible that this may have changed in the meantime, or that you can convince them to make an exception. I will send you a PM with the contact info.

Good luck and let me know what happens - i will be in the area myself in June and would very much like to visit again, if possible.

I got this email today from Cecile Vargo, she and her husband Roger were quite close to Mike Patterson:

Quote Originally Posted by Cecile Vargo
    On a more somber note, the news at Cerro Gordo is that Mike Patterson's son Sean has officially closed the ghosttown to visitors for an indefinite period of time. There is more information on our website about the closure, and contact info for Sean if anyone has any questions or concerns. Roger & Cecile are on the list of caretakers who will be taking turns watching the place so it is never abandoned, and will be up there from May 8th through the 12th.
    David A. Wright
    Quote: "Happy Trails To You, Until We Meet Again!"

David,

Thanks for that info - it was Cecile who I had been in touch with, i had just forgotten her name in the meantime. Anyway, I hope that Sean or whoever the new owner is will be able to re-open the town soon. FWIW, IMHO it is still well worth driving up the country road while respecting any "no tresspassing" signs, since you can pretty much see the whole place from the road.

Their website is www.cerrogordo.us ...keep checking back for updates but it does say on the website that it is closed. There is, however, an email address and a cell phone number to call.

John
    Josta

Big Bear Lake, CA

I got in contact with Mike and says they are getting the issues with his dad settled. Have to respect that for sure.
    He said maybe in June folks could visit. At any rate, I am a retired Vet and if they need some help just give me a shout.

Sean can't keep you from the county road, nor the Swansea-Cerro Gordo 4x4 trail. As mentioned, you can see much of the town from the road. If you want a good overview of the town, drive along the Swansea-Cerro Gordo 4x4 trail to wherever the view fancies you (accessed from the point the county road tops the summit above town and a road comes in from the left). Cerro Gordo's cemetery, including Mike's wife Jody, is buried there on a separate road above this road.

David A. Wright
    Quote: "Happy Trails To You, Until We Meet Again!"

Made it up to Cerro Gordo earlier this year. Everything was closed. One person there greeted us and was friendly. We snapped a few shots and then we left.

On our way up to Cerro...

Thread Information