Thread: Standin' On The Corner Park, Winslow, Arizona

Ghostdancer is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Default Standin' On The Corner Park, Winslow, Arizona

That line in the Eagles song Take It Easy about standing on the corner in Winslow, Az...

There is a monument in Winslow on that particular corner. Across the street from the statue is a gift shop that was once a soda fountain. Jackson Browne who wrote part of the song was arrested for vagrancy years ago in Winslow and after he was released from the jail he hung out at the soda fountain and told people there about the song he was going to write. This was told to me by the man working the counter at the store.

Though my sister tells me she watched an interview with Jackson Browne where he stated that this actually happened in Flagstaff; at least the part about the girl in the flat bed Ford, but felt that Winslow sounded better for a song than did Flagstaff.

Standin' On The Corner Park

I didn't know this existed until earlier today when I stopped in Winslow on my return from Flagstaff.
    Last edited by Ghostdancer; 05-30-2010 at 02:20 PM.
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

Thanks for posting. I traveled through Winslow in June of 1976 and at that time route 66 still went through town. I had not realized that I 40 bypassed it, but that happens to most smaller town in the name of progress. We were on our way to SW Missouri to see the Wife's relatives and on the way back we drove Hwy 50 and one overnight stay was in Dodge City. The desert across Nevada and S. Utah was beautiful because of recent rains, with lots of native grasses, wild flowers and cactus in bloom. Since we were pulling a trailer, one night was spent in an unimproved campground in Nevada that had lots of petroglyphs among some rocks about a hundred feet from the campground and they were completely unprotected. No, I foolishly did not take any photos, even though I had a camera.

campp is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Yup. There's a nice small museum across the street with Winslow history. And DO NOT miss the La Posada Hotel if you go there.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ghostdancer is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

I did check out the La Posada Hotel; in fact it was there where I was informed of the corner and statue. Yes, it's a very grand place. Had I not have already had breakfast at the local Denny's I would have done so at the hotel.
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

Default Standin' On The Corner Park, Winslow, Arizona

hey

i have heard about the Jackson Browne and i really like the songs of him and the songs wrote by him are very nice.

Winslow NJ Locksmith

Took some nice pics of the park and Williams in my Route 66 Adventures Arizona album:

http://forums.ghosttowns.com/showthr...ferrerid=25768

Look up 2nd Street and Kinsley in Winslow on Google Maps, you'll see why I think the park is cool

Thread Information