Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washington

Default Washington

Just thinking that there isn't much shown in Movies or Documentation about Peoneers in the North west."Washington" called.
    Montana,Yes,also Oregon,Nevada,ect,ect. But not much Info about Washington

Ours was coming from different angles than the basic 'push west' - its more like the state was pushed from west and east at once. There is a big maritime history here. Washington wasn't cut off from Oregon Territory until 1855. There's tons of documentation however, although not many movies.
    Several British naval explorations, the Lewis & Clark Expedition, the arrival of Hudson's Bay posts, the arrival of The Whitmans at Walla Walla, numerous Puget Sound settlements take off in 1851. Remember the 60's TV show Here Come The Brides with Bobby Sherman? True story (+ I'm related to one of the major figures in that). Several indian wars (Cayuse, Nez Perce, Bannock), the 'Pig War' in the 1860's, the Northern Pacific transcontinental RR, mining in the 1870's & 80's, the clipper ship trade, the Chinese riots & expulsions of the 1880's, the Klondike Gold Rush, Mt. St. Helens blew 'er top ..wait...went too far there....back up.
    Whats listed so far barely touches the surface...

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

If you're looking for a good read about Washington, more exact, Seattle, there is the book written by William C, Speidel called "Sons of the Profits" about the growth of Seattle from 1851 - 1901.

The Methow Valley (Eastern Washington) is rich in history as well as many ghost towns to choose from to visit and explore.

Then like RDS stated...there is the Lewis & Clark expadition ending at the mouth of the Columbia River, Hudson's Bay, and the Whitmans. The whole state is full of history if you know where to look.

We also have Steven King's "Rose Red" where parts of the movie were filmed at the Arctic Building on 3rd and Cherry St. and other locations such as 6th and Pike.

The Night Stalker did an episode in the Underground part of Seattle...they even did a Scooby~Doo version of that place.

I'm sure there are plenty of movies about Washington...we just like seeing the new stuff coming out and tend to forget about the past...just like the ghost towns we go to visit before they turn to rubble...thank heaven for DWinslow and all his pics!

Don't forget to talk about the great lumbering history of NW Oregon and SW Washington that left many ghost towns like Ryderwood and Cathlamet. The problem with the old lumbering towns is that many were torn down and the very wet weather tends to eliminate traces much faster than happens in the desert.

Sadly,Yes. Its just dificult to chat with the Owner about restauration.

Tsarevna is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

I just got a book Company Towns of the Pacific Northwest. (Linda Carlson)

I was a bit disappointed because it focuses almost entirely on Washington. It really just should be titled Company Towns of Washington.
    It mentions Valsetz a couple of times, and oddly, Vanport. Vanport was not a company town so I don't see why it's even there.

I know what you mean though, it seems to find information about towns in Washington you have to pick up a book about trains or trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin View Post
    If you're looking for a good read about Washington, more exact, Seattle, there is the book written by William C, Speidel called "Sons of the Profits" about the growth of Seattle from 1851 - 1901.

The Methow Valley (Eastern Washington) is rich in history as well as many ghost towns to choose from to visit and explore.

Then like RDS stated...there is the Lewis & Clark expadition ending at the mouth of the Columbia River, Hudson's Bay, and the Whitmans. The whole state is full of history if you know where to look.

We also have Steven King's "Rose Red" where parts of the movie were filmed at the Arctic Building on 3rd and Cherry St. and other locations such as 6th and Pike.

The Night Stalker did an episode in the Underground part of Seattle...they even did a Scooby~Doo version of that place.

I'm sure there are plenty of movies about Washington...we just like seeing the new stuff coming out and tend to forget about the past...just like the ghost towns we go to visit before they turn to rubble...thank heaven for DWinslow and all his pics!
    Not really Seattle.Im from the Mountains and feel not that well on the Sea

Tsarevna is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Every time they do a film about Washington, they seem to move the filming location to Vancouver BC. I think it's something to the friendly tax breaks the Canadians give to movie producers.

The Journey of Natty Gann was a film that heavily featured logging in Washington, but it was filmed in BC. All the X-Files episodes that were supposed to take place in Washington were also shot in BC.

There is something about the state that makes produces not want to shoot there.

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

It's been that way for a long time...and you're right, Tsar, it has a lot to do with the tax breaks.

Thread Information