Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tomboy, the Blackbear Road and Imogene Pass, Colorado. - Part 1

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    dwinslow is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Tomboy, the Blackbear Road and Imogene Pass, Colorado. - Part 1

Well, the time has come when I've run out of my ghost town slide collection. This will be the last major post. I've got a few miscellaneous slides to scan and process and I'll post them from time to time but this will end the major part of the collection. It's be over a year and a half of posting every other day with three or more photos in each post. That's a heck of a lot of pictures to scan and post . I hope you folks have enjoyed the ride, I have. Be sure and check my web page as I'll be updating and posting new photos every weekend for some time to come.

Now on to the town of Tomboy. This one is a hard one to reach. A trip over Imogene Pass can be a white knuckle trip and it's not for the timid driver or passenger. The Black Berry Road is one of the most difficult rides in the Rockies. Only a very experience driver should try this one. Check here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f58/b...lorado-824383/ for an idea of what to expect. If this one doesn't get your "pucker factor" working, nothing will. http://flashoffroad.com/Articles/bla.../blackbear.htm

This whole bunch of Z's in the picture is the Black Bear Road. In the background is Bridal Veil Falls and the Power House.
    Name:  Tomboy, Colorado 7-71 1253-1.jpg
Views: 15958
Size:  101.0 KB

Another shot of the Falls and the Power House.
    Name:  Tomboy, Colorado 7-71 1236-2.jpg
Views: 5410
Size:  100.5 KB

Gotta be careful here. It's a long way down if ya go over the edge.
    Name:  Tomboy, Colorado 7-71 1257-3.jpg
Views: 3906
Size:  99.6 KB

Stay tuned for a lot more on this fine town and trip. Be back in a couple of days with the next bunch.
    Last edited by dwinslow; 07-22-2010 at 01:14 PM.
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California
    Ghost Town Web site:http://www.donwinslow.net/Ghost%20Towns.html

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Man, CW McCall wasn't kidding when he spoke of the BBR looking like "Z's" and "W's"...Kinda makes ya wonder if he was just up there four-bying or ghost towning as well.

Great shots, Don...can't wait to see more!

Default Tomboy BlackBear and Imogene Pass

WOW!! Congratulations on the fabulous pictures you have posted. i have looked at a lot of pictures of black Bear, but i've never seen any as spectacular as these..

where do you have your other pictures posted.
    This is my first time visiting this sight. look forward to seeing more pictures.

Thanks
    JL

Just wanted to say thanks Don. Lots of great photos and I have enjoyed seeing every one of them.

That last road is not one I would ride up or down and I learned to drive in the mountains.

dwinslow is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Just wanted to say thanks Don. Lots of great photos and I have enjoyed seeing every one of them.

That last road is not one I would ride up or down and I learned to drive in the mountains.
    Thanks Dave. I have quite a few pictures of this trip before I'm done so stay tuned. The Black Bear Road is legendary for it's difficulty and scenery. I've done it a couple of times in my 70 Bronco.
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California

Quote Originally Posted by Darin View Post
    Man, CW McCall wasn't kidding when he spoke of the BBR looking like "Z's" and "W's"...Kinda makes ya wonder if he was just up there four-bying or ghost towning as well.

Great shots, Don...can't wait to see more!
    CW McCall is actually not his real name. He now lives in Ouray, Colorado. He sang the songs and his buddy wrote them. Ouray is over the hill from Telluride by way of the Imogene Pass Road or ya can take the long way around on the highway but it ain't as much fun as Imogene Pass.
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by dwinslow View Post
    CW McCall is actually not his real name. He now lives in Ouray, Colorado. He sang the songs and his buddy wrote them. Ouray is over the hill from Telluride by way of the Imogene Pass Road or ya can take the long way around on the highway but it ain't as much fun as Imogene Pass.
    Yup...Chip Davis wrote 'em and Bill Fries sang 'em. Today, Chip Davis is still working with Mannheim Steamroller while Fries travels with his wife Rena (the RJ of Black Bear Road) and their dog.

Sunrise is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Thanks for all the amazing photos.

That powerstation next to the falls, at the edge of a cliff, in a steep valley is most singular... and ought to win an award.

Colorado's mountains are incomprehensibly huge compared to those in this region.

Thanks again!
    “You are not a human being in search of a spiritual experience. You are a spiritual being immersed in a human experience.”http://thinkexist.com/i/sq/as4.gif Teilhard de Chardin quote

Quote Originally Posted by Sunrise View Post
    Thanks for all the amazing photos.

That powerstation next to the falls, at the edge of a cliff, in a steep valley is most singular... and ought to win an award.

Colorado's mountains are incomprehensibly huge compared to those in this region.

Thanks again!
    Thanks Sunrise. This place is just amazing, both for the scenery and the ghost towns. I wanted to move there back in the 70's but I couldn't get the wife to go along with it due to the amount of snow and cold winters. We did look at a home for sale in Ouray but I couldn't convince her. In re the power station, I think it's on the historic building registry. It's on private land that is owned by an active mining company. For a long time I thought it was a hotel until I found out differently. I have seen some recent pictures that show that it's had a coat of paint and some TLC. In my photo you can see a wooden footbridge on the left side which is missing in the more recent pictures. Most of my photos were taken from the Blackbear Road. Maybe JoeZ can jump in with some stuff taken near the power house. He's back there now so .....come on Joe, get that camera out.
    Don Winslow
    Glendora, California

Awesome pictures again! I have thoroughly enjoyed all of your' pictures. This last set made me dizzy though LOL! Of course I had to follow the links so I could get dizzier. What a trail! And what a view!

Thread Information