Thread: Unknown Farm/Settlement, South Carolina

Here are some aerial pictures:
    Name:  1994P2.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  101.2 KBName:  200.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  105.4 KB

campp is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Welcome LioZac, great post! Your property sounds fascinating!

I support the possible rail spur at one time. They didn't ballast those temporary spurs; just pulled up the parts and rebuilt the track somewhere else. Look for old rotted RR timbers tossed into a nearby gully. If you get lucky, you might find date nails, which are pounded into RR ties with the date of maintenance. But, it also may just be a road.

Looking forward to pics.

Tsarevna is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

That's fascinating. Sure has a lot of jungle growing on it since '94 when the B&W photo was taken. I wonder if the things in the explored area, the dark lines, are c****s or drainage ditches?

Wouldn't be surprised if you found pump houses, a cemetery, dog kennels, pheasant houses and the like out there. Perhaps a still. :P

I wish I had thought about this before now...a few years ago it wouldn't have been so hard to get to it had I been interested. The other day, I had to use a machete to even walk down the drive way (that 2006 satellite image doesn't do justice to what all has grown there today).

Well, there's no doubting that it's a farm. My primary concern right now is what happened to the people that lived there. I mean, they left everything behind.

Once again, I thank you all kindly for everyone's support.

Quote Originally Posted by LioZac View Post
    My primary concern right now is what happened to the people that lived there. I mean, they left everything behind.
    As long as you're not the one who finds them, it'll be fine. Although I'd be surprised if that actually happens.

They could have fled the area after something happened (they fled from the police, or from someone, a plague, a family member was murdered, etc), or maybe they all died in an accident. A lot of times people don't even go clean up houses of recently deceased relatives, so they could have just abandoned it.

Are there nearby mines?
    It could happen that chemicals leached from a nearby mine contaminated their water supply, killing their animals, sickening them, and forcing them to leave with whatever they could. Under those circumstances, I have a feeling you would pack the basics and then figure out what to do with the rest. Then again, if that's what happened, and the family later died, dispersed or something, no one would want to keep a lot of their stuff, cooking utensils, vessels, etc, as it is likely that they were contaminated.

You can probably make a request to have the plate ran on the computer by either the DMV or the local PD, they might be interested in helping you with your research.

You can also try talking to old people in the town, as they might know something. You never know, in those old small towns everyone knew everyone and everything, so they might know something.

I'll end up running the plate through the DMV, that would probably be a good bet. I also talk to some of the neighbors, for all I know they could've been family.

There aren't any mines in the area, or any heavy industry for that matter. My guess is no one ever came around to claim their possessions because, who ever lived there had no known next of kin. I'll see what more I can find.

Thread Information