Thread: Crown King, Arizona

Default Crown King, Arizona

Planning a trip to see the Crown King mine and town via motorscooter. What other areas close by would be best to visit? I will probably stay two days in the area. Orro Belle seems to have quite a few structures keft. Thanks for any help.

Acme Mine but you will need a GPS. Only a tin miners shack and some tailings.
    Tiger Mine is alongside the road. You can park and take the short hike over to the site
    Del Pasco - Mine and some wooden structures.
    Minnehaha Mine - Mine buildings and caretaker
    Bradshaw City - Nothing there but a forest service sign

Other than that refer to the GT county listing for Yavapi county and explore.

I'd be worried about some of those places while riding a scooter.

Oro Belle is normally reachable with a high clearance 4WD truck or an ATV.
    Bradshaw City is reachable on the Senator Highway from Crown King, the road is not too bad between those two places, but the full Prescott-Crown King run is 31 miles or so, takes 4 hours in a 4WD truck. I wouldn't take anything with tires less than 31" (other than a quad or a dirt bike).
    The road to Minnehaha is marked (I believe) as a one lane mountain road with blind curves. One access to the road is off the Senator Highway. I believe the other one is off the Orobelle Rd
    The road to Del Pasco seems fine for the most part, but a year ago it had sections with some decently sized rocks.

OK, that helps very much. I was gonna ride my big bike Vstrom 1000, but maybe not a good idea. I will probably put my Dr 650 on back of the truck and go that way. Thanks for the replies. Do you figure I could stage out of Wickenburg?

As in leave the truck in Wickenburg and then take the bike? I'm unsure, I know the ride from Wickenburg to Prescott has a lot of curves, but that's all I know, never been there. What you could do is leave the truck in CK and then take the bike around to all those locations. Keep in mind that the closest fuel stations are in Prescott (taking the Senator) and Mayer (front way), as far as I know they do sell fuel in CK but it's twice as expensive and the place is not open all the time.

Thanks again for the info. I was thinking of staying in Wickenburg and ride the bike from their. But, I was not sure if I could drive to CK in my truck-road to rough etc. And also not sure if there were any places to stay. Are their any motels north of Wickenburg? I see some small towns Congress and Yarnell.

campp is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

I don't think there's anything in Congress, maybe Yarnell but that's even a stretch, there's really not much commercial traffic through there. I'd stay in Wickenburg.

OK will do, gonna head out on Tuesday. So what are the best Gtowns to see? Got Orro Belle, Crown King, Del Pasco, Tip Top and bumble Bee on my list. What are the best 4-5 in the area I can visit? I have seen Vulture and was very impressed. Thanks for the help.

Crown King can be reached on a Prius -provided that you stay on the main road (ie. the Frontway, running from Mayer to Crown King). It might be on the Senator Highway. Last time I ran it I had no issues on my slightly lifted TrailBlazer with 32" tires, the only thing that may be an issue is the amount of brush on the side past the Minnehaha turnoff, the right side of the vehicle will probably end with "Arizona pinstriping".

You could also stay in Prescott/Prescott Valley and be closer (not sure if there are any motels in Dewey-Humboldt or Mayer, probably not) and drive from there.

I've never been to any of those except for Crown King and Bumble Bee. If you take the dirt road from Mayer you will also go through Cordes, an old stop, there's not much to see, except for the original convenience store and fuel station, and a bunch of old iron (like one or two trucks, wheels, etc). If you go from there you will also drive by Cleator (I think that regardless of where you start, the frontway will take you through Cleator)

Thread Information