Thread: Sandon and Cody, BC

Default Sandon and Cody, BC

I had the opportunity of visiting Sandon and seeing some of the old buildings just outside of Cody, BC. Has anyone else here been there?
    I have to admit that while I loved seeing the old bordello restored and peeking through the windows, I wasn't impressed with all the old buses and trucks which weren't from the town originally scattered around. I went inside the "Prospector's Pick" and wasn't impressed either. There was a kid behind the counter who claimed to live in the town with his family. He kept trying to get me to buy his mother's book on Sandon and said he would even get it autographed for me if I wanted. I turned him down. Sandon wasn't too bad, I suppose, if you can get past the bus graveyard there. I did manage to get some nice pictures and had a rather unusual experience with my camera, camcorder and cell phone not working around one of the abandoned houses, but wasn't going to stick around to find out why.
    I had a very limited amount of time and decided to try and find Cody next. I tried to get directions from the kid working in the store, but he wasn't too helpful and had no maps of the area left.
    I drove up the old road he pointed out and found a few old buildings on the side of the road, along with an old outhouse. I checked out the floorboards and the general state of the house itself and decided it was safe enough to venture inside. Not much to see and it was obvious that I wasn't the first person to go inside and apparently not everyone believes in taking what you bring in as there was plenty of garbage and graffiti on the walls.
    There were a few turn offs at that point and I wasn't sure which one to take, but I never did wind up finding the actual town of Cody... I found out later that I simply needed to hike the last bit into the town as the road had been washed out. Well crap. Hopefully I can make it back up there soon... I'd love to see the old hotel and other buildings!
    On the way back, I decided to walk along the Galini trail at the end of the dirt road leading to Sandon. The trail is LONG, but VERY well maintained! There are outhouses along the way and even an old hand-trolley to carry you across the creek! There's also the remains of an old mine along with various mining equipment! I'm not sure of the exact history of this site, but I believe the buildings and equipment were destroyed by a massive slide. At any rate, the area itself is not what I would consider safe to walk through, though with a good camera, it has some wonderful picture-taking opportunities!
    If you continue a little farther, you will get to the trolley! Believe me, this is worth the walk! If you have kids, they will LOVE this!! It's looks and feels scary and dangerous to use, but is completely safe!

So that's my experience... has anyone else made it up there? If so, what was your trip like?

Quote Originally Posted by WolfGirl View Post
    There were a few turn offs at that point and I wasn't sure which one to take, but I never did wind up finding the actual town of Cody... I found out later that I simply needed to hike the last bit into the town as the road had been washed out. Well crap. Hopefully I can make it back up there soon... I'd love to see the old hotel and other buildings!

So that's my experience... has anyone else made it up there? If so, what was your trip like?
    I was under the understanding that the Post Office building was the "town" of Cody so to speak. Did you make it there? Where was the road washed out? We camped overnight in front of the Post Office in the summer of 2009. Here's some pictures to enjoy

Next set of photos...

And the next set...

Last edited by asutherland; 10-21-2011 at 02:48 PM.

MORE pictures!

You guys said you like pictures!!!

Last one...

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Fascinating...too bad about all the trash and what not. Just a sign of the times of change - kids now days just want to leave their mark on everything. Great photos by the way!!!

Really nice post, thanks much...........Speedy

Here's a Fairbanks Morse model in operation... same unit (or very similar) to the one you can find in Cody.

Thread Information