Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mildred, Montana: An Unexpected Ghost

Default Mildred, Montana: An Unexpected Ghost

While driving throught he farmlands of eastern Montana I knew I would pass through the little community of Mildred. From the map I had, it looked as if it would be a small town, loikely only a shell of a past self, but at least a town nonetheless.

Instead, I found myself in perhaps the best completely ghost town I've ever encountered, with dozens of buildings standing, and not a resident, or sign thereof, in sight.

Unfortunately, other than it being a community along the Milwaukee Road, now the BNSF, and that it once had a Post Office and school, there is not much out there about this little town-no-more.

So, instead enjoy the pictures.

Looking at Mildred from a distance:

Individual derelict homes at Mildred:

Expect many more of Mildred to come!
    Easily distracted.

Current distraction: Railroad Depots

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Very nice find. I see there is what looks like a radio substation in that second picture...or at least a tower of some sort anyway.
    Can't wait to see more.

I'm not exactly sure what it was, probably a radio substation or something. There were a couple of maintained sheds in the town, possibly railroad maintenance or the like.

Looking down the main street of Mildred:

An old wooden store building:

A brick store building, one of the most substantial of the town's remaining structures:

Easily distracted.

The brick bldg looks like it might have been a bank, or possibly a post office at one time. There is a grain elevator and it appears surrounding farm land, was the elevator still in use, or abandoned like the rest of the town?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    The brick bldg looks like it might have been a bank, or possibly a post office at one time. There is a grain elevator and it appears surrounding farm land, was the elevator still in use, or abandoned like the rest of the town?
    That is a good hypothesis, as the community did have one at one point. I wish I'd had more time to take a closer look, as it still looked like there were furnishings inside the building. It appeared that the grain elevator was no longer in use. There was a siding to it, but there were no fittings present to transfer grain between the silo and cars.

Continuing with the public buildings of Mildred:

The church at Mildred. It appeared to still see occasional use, if the mowed lawn around it was any sign:

What looks like it could have been a one-room schoolhouse at Mildred:

Easily distracted.

Super cool pics, thanks..........Speedy

Great pictures - Not so much that they are photographic masterpieces, but they show the raw truth about a part of America that may not be quite dead, but a heart beat would be hard to find.

So many small towns no longer viable, either a few hardy souls living out their remaining years, or gone and deserted as Mildred appears to be . What does this portend for rural America?

Just for my information, I Binged Mildred and found a site called Virtual Montana. Apparently when the highway changed the town lost population. Not sure if that was highway 12, or I-94, which is 19 miles North. There is another town of Ismay that makes for interesting reading on the same site.'

http://www.ultimatemontana.com/secti...on1/ismay.html

Looks like Eastern Montana is full of small dying farm towns, probably like North Dakota and the rest of the plains states.
    Last edited by Dave A; 09-22-2010 at 05:03 PM. Reason: added

Neat find and pictures! I did a little surfing and found some more pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/montana...n/photostream/ According to what the person who took the pictures says Mildred was a railway town. I couldn't find anything on the internet to verify that, but it's certainly possible. Thanx for sharing.

Tsarevna is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Nice find.

It's just amazing, how towns can dry up and disappear off the map, with nobody really paying attention or keeping track.

There's all this concern about habitat loss and urban sprawl...not much of the public realizes that there is a lot of nature reclamation and habitat "gain" going on in out of the way places!
    I bet the deer and jack rabbits graze on the former main street of that place.

Thanks for the info, guys. My guess is that when The road shut down in the eighties, the town died with it, then, in the same style as Lester in Washington, the revival of the railroad tracks brought nothing to the town, instead it just sits abandoned, returning to the wilds.

A vintage mobile home left derelict:

Another home left to the prairie:

Even the grain silo sits abandoned along the tracks:

It's been a long time since this store had open exposure to the main street:
    Easily distracted.

Thread Information