Thread: Ollie, Montana: Bones on the Prairie

Default Ollie, Montana: Bones on the Prairie

There isn't much of a clue that this little town ever existed. On the slight chance that you might end up wandering the back roads of the Montana/North Dakota border, you might just assume you are driving past just a couple of the smattering of ranches that sprinkle the area. However, a little closer study reveals what was a little town. There may be more history out there somewhere, but all that I could dredge p was the one time presence of a post office and high school, and that a Northern Pacific branch out of Beach, North Dakota once reached the town.

Here's what you do see that make up the bones of Ollie:

A boarded-up store along the main road through Ollie. My guess is this was the post office:

A schoolhouse at Ollie. I'm assuming this was the primary school:

A larger schoolhouse, which I'm guessing was the high school at Ollie:

Easily distracted.

Current distraction: Railroad Depots

Nice pictures! I always enjoy seeing these.

Interesting to see the remains of the school buildings surrounded by hay bales on the still active ranches.

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Interesting to see the remains of the school buildings surrounded by hay bales on the still active ranches.
    At least the ranchers are nice enough not to tear 'em down just 'cause they're in the way! Of corse they do make for nice shelters during the winter though just to get out of the cold.

Though there is not much there today, looking at an aerial photo of the town:

I was able to piece together what may have once been the layout of the community. The blue line is the railroad, which was relatively easy to make out. The red lines are what may have once been streets in the town. It's hard to tell, however, what might be overgrown roads, and what are tracks left by tractors. Also to note are the locations of the high school and store building. The primary school is farther south along Ollie Road.

Easily distracted.

Tsarevna is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

That is really neat. I just love those old schoolhouses. Thanks for sharing!

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I like the overlay of the map...it really gives a better perspective of the town!

Smile

Hi, Im new to this forum so I hope Im doing this right. Great job on photographing Ollie and the map overlay. In the book Names On The Faces Of Montana they said there was a railroad roundhouse there, did you see any remains? Thank you

Scott, thanks for the kind words.

Looking closer at the aerial photo on Bing (better quality than Google Earth for Ollie), I can see no remaining sign of a roundhouse, not even the turntable pit or the concrete from the roundhouse pits. However, that does not mean they aren't there, hidden somewhere in the grass. What I can see, however, is the railroad wye, with tracks continuing only to the north, suggesting that Ollie was the end of the line, and thus a likely location for a roundhouse.
    Easily distracted.

Thread Information