Thread: Vulture city mine

Default Vulture city mine

Large mine complex 60 miles NW of phoenix. A local rancher owns the place and whenever avail charges a small fee to look around. well the site was closed the day we went so we called and he gave us permission to go in. We assumned that meant the mine too

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...1&l=6183677d65

Thanks for posting the pictures. We're on our way there tomorrow; Wickenburg Chamber says they're open from 9-3 daily, and is $10 each person.
    Josta

Big Bear Lake, CA

campp is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

It's a good one, lots of things to poke around in and look at. Be sure to haul some water with you, its getting hot out there now, and you'll be a long way from the car.

It was definitely a good one....relatively well preserved but the Assay office is now off-limits due to the obvious instability of the rock walls in this two-story building. We were met by the owner's daughter, a very friendly person who was happy to answer any questions. Steve is right; bring plenty of water; although it's "only" a 3/4 mile loop, it takes at least a hour and a half to see it and half of it is uphill. What was neat is that it looks like the townfolk just got up and left, there are many tools and parts still on the workbench and shelves inside the buildings, not to mention the pots and pans in the mess hall kitchen

It's $10 per person. They have cold drinks and bottled water there, as well as a porta-potty. Might be best to go there in the morning in the summertime, and don't forget your camera! They don't like having people bring bags or backpacks; some have been caught trying to carry off artifacts from the townsite.

Afterwards, ask for directions to the two schoolhouse buildings; they're not on the map and are worth a very short side trip. A DVD of the place is available for purchase for $20; we haven't watched ours yet.

By the way, this town will be on "Ghost Adventures", May 21st (a re-run from last October)!

John
    Josta

Big Bear Lake, CA

campp is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

It's a nice way to spend a casual day. Sad to hear about thieves. Dumb-bells.

The Assay Office was feeling old when I walked through it, I was actually surprised it was still open when I was inside, pretty spongy in there.

It's a great place to practice photography, still looks pretty authentic.

Vulture City will be on "Ghost Adventures" tonight on the Travel Channel, 11 PM on the West Coast.
    Josta

Big Bear Lake, CA

YIKES........you went IN the mine! I doubt if they meant that you could go in there, but at least you made it out safely. Vulture City sure is a neat place. The assay building was still open to the public the day I went there, I think it was about five years ago. It was October and VERY hot.

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by josta View Post
    Vulture City will be on "Ghost Adventures" tonight on the Travel Channel, 11 PM on the West Coast.
    Sitting here with my laptop so I can post while watching it.

Leave it to these guys to bring a friggin gun to a "ghost hunting" excursion...and they still scream like girlie~girls!!! (lol)

IMHO, the only good thing about the show was the scenery and the history of the place like the assay office and hanging tree.

I do have to admit that the piano at the new school was kinda cool. The keys on the piano didn't work and there were three notes that came from it. They tried to stomp on the floor to vibrate the strings on it and re-create the sound but nothing came of it...that was a good one!!!

Thanks Josta for pointing this out...was fun to watch and interesting at the same time!

Welcome, Darin.

I taped it last night, and will watch it tonight with some popcorn and good wine.....lol.

For those who missed it, there are parts of it on YouTube. Just enter "Vulture Mine Ghost Adventures" in the search.

John
    Josta

Big Bear Lake, CA

If you want to help save the place, read the note below and vote.

Wickenburg's Vulture Mine has been chosen as a finalist in the National Trust This Place Matters competition. The Mine was the only Arizona site chosen and will be competing with endangered historic sites in other states for a $25,000 grant. Winners will be chosen via online voting beginning June 1, 2011 and continuing through June 30.

We need your help to win. Please help by voting at:

http://www.preservationnation.org/take-action/this-place-matters/community-challenge/places/vulture-mine.html.

...and by asking your email, Facebook, LinkedIn and other "e contacts" to vote for the Vulture Mine. Voters do not need to reside in AZ.
    (Click on the "register or get a password" line at the bottom of the blue box on the right-hand side of the page. You'll get a prompt to enter your email address and zip code. This controls duplicate voting. Voters can opt out of future emails. You'll get a page of the contestants. Vulture Mine is near the bottom. Click on it and your vote gets cast.)
    The Vulture Mine nomination was submitted by the Vulture Mine Preservation and Restoration Association whose mission is to preserve and restore Henry Wickenburg's 1863 gold mine and adjacent Vulture City for the purpose of interpreting and sharing the mine's legacy and its importance to the development of Arizona and the West. VMPRA will use the proceeds to begin preservation work on the schoolhouses. More information is available at VMPRA's web site http://www.savevulturemine.org.

Fireman's Fund and National Trust Insurance Services co-sponsorship of the This Place Matters campaign highlights the important role that historic buildings and properties play in preserving our national heritage as well as in preserving our environment.

THANK YOU for helping!!

Bernadine McCollum, President
    Vulture Mine Preservation & Restoration Association
    Visit Colorado Ghost Towns at http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com

No Sales pitch just plenty of photos and stories.

"I led a quieter life before I got hearing aids." Mike

Rocky

Thread Information