Thread: South Wyoming Ghost Towns

Default South Wyoming Ghost Towns

Hello All,

My family and I are planning a trip to Yellowstone from Denver in June passing through South & Central Wyoming. We've heard about the many ghost towns there. Can anyone recommend a good one to visit? We'll be mostly on routes 287 & 26.

the closest ones I know of are Virginia City & Nevada City Montana..they are next to each other..Nevada City is the best they have reeactments on the week ends in the summer..they are on 287.. If you could make it to Bannack State park Montana,you would really enjoy that one..you can check out some of my pic I took at these places and some other ghost towns in Montana...maybe give you an Idea where to go ..patty (they are all in sets on flickr) http://www.flickr.com/photos/organize/?start_tab=sets hope this link will get you to them..

Between Rawlins and Casper, WY the closest thing to a ghost town is the Sun Ranch. This is an historical site owned by the LDS chursch but full of history. Close by is
    Signature Rock with hundreds of names chiseled by pioneers and passerbys. If you are taking Hwy 28 you will pass within one mile of old South Pass City, Lander, WY. This
    was one of the most well known gold mining towns of the old west. It now has a population of about 5 die hards. Anyhow, it is worth the visit. many abandoned settlements are
    scattered along the route between Pinedale and Jackson but must be directed to by locals. Hope this helps.

Thanks Patty,
    Superb answer. Virginia City & Nevada here we come!
    Adrian

Thanks Capnmac. Excellent answer. Signature Rock sounds unmissable. We'll definitely add this to our route. Adrian

Default South Pass City

When I wa last there, (forty years ago) all there was of the old town was some foundations. The pull up the side of the ridge from Lander is no challenge to a hardened rock-crawler, in fact a high clearance two wheel drive will take you the last mile to the original ruins. It is really impressive when taken in the historical context of people living up there during the Wyoming winter. Brrrr.

Default Piedmont, Wyoming

its quite close to the Utah border.........on private property, but if you search
    the web, you may be able to find the owners name and phone number. If you
    do, call him and he will probably give you permission to go on the site. That
    worked for my sister and I about five years ago.

Miner's Delight is really good too, but probably further north than you will be
    going.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Thanks Patty,
    Superb answer. Virginia City & Nevada here we come!
    Adrian
    You might want to rethink going to Montana. Seems a little out of the way from Yellowstone. If you really plan to go up 287 you can stop at Virgina dale on the way. Click Virginia Dale Next stop is a visit to the Territorial Prision in Larime. It is right on the way. http://wyoparks.state.wy.us/Site/SiteInfo.asp?siteID=25 Another seldom visited place is the Medicine wheel just out side of Yellowstone. http://solar-center.stanford.edu/AO/bighorn.html
    Have a fun vacation
    Last edited by Mikejts; 02-28-2011 at 11:28 AM. Reason: wording
    Visit Colorado Ghost Towns at http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com

No Sales pitch just plenty of photos and stories.

"I led a quieter life before I got hearing aids." Mike

Rocky

Thread Information