Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preservation of the Ghost Towns and Mining Camps

Default Preservation of the Ghost Towns and Mining Camps

So why did I start yet another thread? Let me explain.

I love the old ghost Towns and the history that goes with them. What is bothering me is the rate that they are disappearing. Although many of us, especially forum members, care about preserving them some do not. We research before we go, we take pictures and memories and nothing more when we leave. Some would just as soon loot the Ghost towns, take what they find, and damage the rest. Today’s internet and the means of travel all of us have access to make the problem worse.

Once in awhile a group comes to me via my web site, a personal call, or a chance meeting and asks for a link or help in their preservation efforts. I typical spread the word as best I can but I know what I am doing to help is not enough. I reach only a few people.

An example is the most recent one from Arizona. I have been here and it is a great town. Certainly worthy of any support we can give them. This is a copy of the note they sent me.

Hello - We are the Vulture Mine Preservation & Restoration Association in Wickenburg, AZ. We are trying to buy the mine preserve its history and stablelize the buildings. We are a 501c3 and on the net at savevulturemine.org would you allow us to link to your site. We need all of the exposure and support we can get. Thank You Ernest Mc Collum xxx-xxx-xxxx

What I am attempting to accomplish is to help these types of projects by having a visible thread on the Ghost Town forum dedicated to legitimate Preservation projects. One that anyone across the county could discuss, add their data, and for people to become aware of the need. If people are aware of the efforts by others, they would be more inclined to visit, contribute time, money or anything else that would help.
    So I am looking for your support in adding your comments and your projects to this thread. Then help spread the word through your contacts. Just help to those groups and individuals that are actively attempting to preserve what we enjoy today for future generations.

Hey, I want to take my grandchildren to some of these places.
    Visit Colorado Ghost Towns at http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com

No Sales pitch just plenty of photos and stories.

"I led a quieter life before I got hearing aids." Mike

Rocky

Anyone out there in the process of attempting to preserve a Ghost Town? Interested in finding a location to film the processes being used and feature the people involved?

Send me a note or post it here.

Rocky

Viewed two more sites recently with two different preservation approaches, Shakespeare NM and Chloride NM. Both great sites.

Rocky

PLEASE HELP Preserve the Vulture Mine.

I am copying this note, that i recieved, in the forum to see if some of you might want to vote to help save the Vulture mine just outside of Wickenburg AZ. Please pass it on to others.

Wickenburg's Vulture Mine has been chosen as a finalist in the National Trust This Place Matters competition. The Mine was the only Arizona site chosen and will be competing with endangered historic sites in other states for a $25,000 grant. Winners will be chosen via online voting beginning June 1, 2011 and continuing through June 30.

We need your help to win. Please help by voting at:

http://www.preservationnation.org/take-action/this-place-matters/community-challenge/places/vulture-mine.html.

...and by asking your email, Facebook, LinkedIn and other "e contacts" to vote for the Vulture Mine. Voters do not need to reside in AZ.
    (Click on the "register or get a password" line at the bottom of the blue box on the right-hand side of the page. You'll get a prompt to enter your email address and zip code. This controls duplicate voting. Voters can opt out of future emails. You'll get a page of the contestants. Vulture Mine is near the bottom. Click on it and your vote gets cast.)
    The Vulture Mine nomination was submitted by the Vulture Mine Preservation and Restoration Association whose mission is to preserve and restore Henry Wickenburg's 1863 gold mine and adjacent Vulture City for the purpose of interpreting and sharing the mine's legacy and its importance to the development of Arizona and the West. VMPRA will use the proceeds to begin preservation work on the schoolhouses. More information is available at VMPRA's web site http://www.savevulturemine.org.

Fireman's Fund and National Trust Insurance Services co-sponsorship of the This Place Matters campaign highlights the important role that historic buildings and properties play in preserving our national heritage as well as in preserving our environment.

THANK YOU for helping!!

Bernadine McCollum, President
    Vulture Mine Preservation & Restoration Association

Rocky

I have done some cabin re-erecting or stabilizing in the last few years but would like to find a way to do it on a larger scale. Just me, by myself up in the Northwest Nevada and Mother load areas.

Thanks for what you are doing.

It would be great to see people out there shoring up these structures so they are around for years to come.
    Explore Forums Ghost Town and Mining Camp Forums

Create your own ghost town galleries, blogs, forums, discussion, and much more, free.

Good topic! There is an enormous amount of work that needs to be done throughout the west to preserve our mining heritage. I've always considered preservation of our mining heritage something that I would eventually do full time. I'm starting to work on my "grand plan" now and while it will take years to implement in a meaningful way its always good to get like-minded folks talking about thinks now.

So.... we have 5 responses to this thread. There must be a LOT more people that visit this forum that are interested in preserving our incredible mining and ghost town legacy here in the US. So chime in!

Tsarevna is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

I admire your enthusiam for mining towns. They are very romantic. But it would be a shame to forget about the other types of towns which are under-represented.

There are ghost towns for the age of lumber, steam-boat traffic, stage coach stops, agricultural towns and many more. WWII workforce towns and abandoned airforce bases.

Compared to the above, mining towns (in my opinion) are already much better preserved. There are dozens of restored mining towns and exhibits all over california/nevada etc, but how many 1800's era restored sawmills have you ever seen? I'm not saying we shouldn't preserve mining towns. We've just got to work on preserving all types.

I think often times the biggest problem is when private owners abandon their property or bulldoze a town on it. No law says a company has to keep historic buildings. Valsetz was lost this way.
    Even if they are on the national register of historic places, they just get it de-listed, then bulldoze it. I've seen that happen again and again in Portland during the housing boom.

If the state gets a hold of it, either it turns into a park or it meets the horrible fate of being demolished because of liability. We all know with the state of the economy, it's a snowballs' chance right now that any new ghost towns will become state parks.

I think legislation that absolved the state/feds of any liability if a person wandered into a ghost town would prevent a lot of tragic losses. If we could draft such legislation and get enough signatures to pass it in the western states, that would be a good start. A pretty tall order though.

A big problem I see with mining sites in particular is superfund cleanup. Many of the sites are abandoned because foreign companies still own them. They won't re-start mining because they'd have to cleanup the pollution from the early days before they were allowed to start. It's too expensive, so they don't. But whatever mineral was originally mined there might go up in price again, so they don't sell. The state or feds don't have the resources to sue in international court to force the company to cleanup. Could be it would be useless to try because the company might not have the funds.
    We might love the historical buildings on the site, but if it costs $30 million to clean it up, even if the site were donated to us for free, what could we do about it?

A lot of sites sit in limbo this way.
    Last edited by Tsarevna; 10-10-2011 at 02:55 AM.

I just got back from Northern Nevada, up around the Blackrock, High Rock Canyon area to one of the cabins that my kids and I put a weeks worth of work into last year. Sadly, it seems as if someone destroyed all the wood they could and used it as a camp fire wood. After counting over 200 new bullet holes, i just left. It breaks my heart that people keep destroying things in the desert that have managed to survive the last 150 years. It still wont stop me from trying my best to do what i can do to keep the memories and miner's shacks alive.

What about the old TCRR every day things come up missing and are torn down (tressels) used for fire wood . i agree state parks!!!!

Thread Information