Thread: Oak Grove Butterfield Stage Station

Default Oak Grove Butterfield Stage Station

According to Wikipedia, the Oak Grove Butterfield Stage Station is the "only surviving station on the Butterfield Overland Mail stagecoach line." It is in San Diego County at Warner Springs.

Does anyone know how much of the original structure stands? Is the current building the original building with small improvements (preserved), mostly a newer addition to an original building, a rebuilt building on the original site, or something else?

I'd like to visit it on my way to Anza Borrego and see if my daughter would like to make it the subject of her next report (5th grade).
    Last edited by shirohniichan; 03-02-2011 at 11:47 AM. Reason: added location information

shirohniichan,

If its the one I'm thinking of, its right along the highway, it has a state historical marker in front of it, and it is otherwise not open to the public. It's about a five minute piece of entertainment.

On the other hand, The Vallecito Stage Coach Station is a San Diego County Park inside the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, along S-2. It also was an original Butterfield Stagecoach Station, and the original structure, a sod building as opposed to adobe, was restored in the 1930's. The place is absolutely fascinating, as well as gorgeous.

Also, you don't say when you're going to the ABDSP, but March 25th 26th and 27th is Vallecito Days, when the park has reenactors recreate the stage coach days. Here's a link:SDCP

You have got to hit the ABDSP HQ, just west of Borrego Springs (if you've never been there before), but I favor the southern end of the park. There's Blair Valley, Ghost Mountain with Yaquitepec, Little Blair Valley where you've got the site of an Indian Village and a hike out to pictographs, although I would suggest four wheel drive to get to that trailhead, Box Canyon, Vallecito, of course, but then Agua Caliente Park, another county park inside the ABDSP, that has got to be one of the nicest hot springs facilities in California, for a lousy five dollars a day. If you go a little further up Sweeney Pass, you've got the Badlands Overlook. It's just good.

Here's another link: Vallecito

That's my Twins, when we camped at Vallecito.

I'm assuming you're coming from the north, through Warner Ranch, so you'll be taking Montezuma Valley Road down to the park. Don't blink as you drive through Beautiful Downtown Ranchita, where they've got some kind of critter memorial that kids tend to get a kick out of. The road down to Borrego Springs is sobering, but there's some overlooks to pull of at and admire the stunning view.

Are you planning to camp?

I apologize for taking so long to reply. We went to Anza Borrego from April 1 to 3 and stayed at a friend's house south of town. We came in via Warner Springs and exited from the south and stopped in Julian on the way back. What a temperature difference! We went from the low 80s in Borrego psrings to 46 degrees in Julian on that Sunday morning.

We didn't stop in Vallecito, but now I know where to go next time. Thanks!

Thread Information