Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honey Bee Canyon

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Honey Bee Canyon

It's been grey, wet and dismal here while most parts of the US have been up to their eyebrows in snow. I got antsy and decided to skip the shopping onslaught and went to Honey Bee Canyon in Oro Valley, Arizona.

Not the most exciting ruins, but I noticed them just off the trail to the canyon. I have no history to add to them.
    "Life is a constant oscillation between the sharp horns of dilemmas."

H.L. Mencken

Joel is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Maybe someone from the Oro Valley area can chime in with some information regarding these.

Honey Bee Canyon also has petroglyphs from an unknown era. I've read that these might have been carved anywhere from 200 B.C. to the 14th Century. One of the quirks of Arizona is that while we don't have historic buildings like New York City, Washington or Philadelphia, we have teasing reminders centuries older than anything the East Coast can boast about that we were not the first ones here.

The petroglyphs are fairly faint and are not in the best of shape. My guess is that it's due to the geology involved. It's a fairly soft rock in contrast to others that I have found.

H.L. Mencken

This area is closed off to all vehicles, so hoofing it is the only way in. Not a killer walk in winter time for anyone though. I didn't even open my water bottle.

Old dam sitting in the canyon. Again, any information regarding these would be most welcome.

H.L. Mencken

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Was in Honey bee a few years ago with my cousin from califruity...as we were pressing on through the brush he asked me if there was anything in Arizona that didn't bite, claw, scratch or poke..."no, was all I said."

Nice shots of a beautiful place. I didn't know about the petroglyphs, those artists were prolific.

I heard that a developer was planning on building up to the edge there, I hope that didn't happen.

<
    Last edited by Vulture; 12-27-2008 at 07:37 PM.
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

They're scattered around the area. Every now and then, you can spot one over the canyons. Right now, it's geezer city up in the area.
    The six pack kids that will probably destroy the petroglyhs in the future are just becoming house broken. Better see 'em while you can!

H.L. Mencken

Sunrise is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Default Honey Bee

Greetings.
    I am new to this site but not to many of the areas mentioned on this site. I have been to honey bee many times, when you could drive in, stay a few days and see no one! Those days are long gone. The ruins are "outbuildings" from a ranch somewhere in the area. If you go to the wooden corral near the ruins, you can find a rock outcropping with a glyph of a dot within a circle. I used to park there and begin my hikes at this location. Everytime I would begin by looking at that glyph and wondering why it was put there. After maybe a dozen times, I looked at it from a greater distance and realized the entiire outcropping was natuarlly shaped like a desert tortise and all it needed was any eye to complete the "sculpture". I have never seen another example of this anywhere in the world. As far as I know, I am the only one who knows about it. I sent photos of it to several "save the tortise" orgs, but did not receive ONE REPLY! Go figure. Anyway, it is not a turtle, it is distinctly tortise. The glyphs in the wash depict a great horned owl, among other entities. I have been told that the next nearest glyph of an owl is 250 miles away. There are many mysterious unmortared rock walls in the tortilitas. Some are 3 feet high some are one small stone high. At the northern end of the Tortillitas is Owl head butte (or close to that name). This was the site of a rach and mine occuoied by the great Tom Jeffords during his retirement. The ranch was owned by Alice Crane and there is a photo of jeffords taken of him standing outside the house with several dogs around him. The story goes that he was not to welcome by most citizens of Tucson due to his close associations with the dreaded Chokonens! I have always meant to locate it from the photo. Alice persuaded Tom to take her to the Dragoons and show her the site where the Howard-Cochise treaty was made. She took a photo of the site where Cochise lived, at least during the treaty process. It is unlikely he (Cochise) would have shown soldiers his permanent home. At any rate, i used a downloaded copy of the photo she took in 1895 and located the boulder in the photo. It took a while, but was only a few hundred yards from where I had surmised it to be after reading "making Peace with Cochise".
    Back to Honey Bee. There is also a Hohokam Ballcourt north of the glyphs a few miles.
    Please forgive my typing.
    I spend most my free time visiting the many amazing places in Southern Az.
    This weekend I hope to go to the Coyote Mountains at the base of Kit Peek. There are hundreds of Glyphs there and I am the proud owner of a camera worthy of taking photos of these amazing places.

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Sounds like you are very familiar with the area. Can you tell the history of the pre-fabricated concrete coal bunkers? I belive they are old & have always been curious about them.

<
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

Default Honeybee

Sorry, I have no idea what you are reffering to.

Pre-fabricated concrete coal bunkers? Man! I knew I should have chanced going to the second dam!

Greetings Sunrise. Please do post the pictures of the petroglyphs in the Coyotes. I never have seen them and everytime that I go down there, more and more roads are closed off.

H.L. Mencken

Default Coal Bunkers

The computer I was at before did not allow the photos to be shown. Not sure why. But I do not recognize the concrete structures at all. The ruins I was taliking about are Adobe.

Thread Information