Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NE NM ghost towns

Default NE NM ghost towns

Hello everyone! I've used the ghosttowns.com site for many ghost towns I visit - a wealth of info there!
    I love researching the history of the towns and buildings before and after visiting these places.

I'm currently living in Clovis NM (Billy the Kid country) and I've explored a lot of ghost towns around my area (In NM and Tx)
    I've posted photos in my flickr account - I have a ghost town set here if anyone is interested.

I'm planning another 2-day 'adventure' and hopefully will head out soon. I'm on my way north, up to and around Fort Union. On my itenerary: Tiptonville, Fort Union, Watrous, La Cueva, and Las Vegas (overnight in the historical Plaza hotel!) Then I'm headed further north to Elizabethtown, Cimarron, Colfax, and Capulin Volcano. I'm taking my non-photographer hubby with me this time. I have to be careful and not bore him to death

I'm trying to decide how much time to spend at each area. Has anyone been to these places? I'm sure I'll spend about 2 hours at Fort Union, but what about the other little towns - are these places worth exploring, or just drive through and lookie loos?

Look through my ghost town set link -- I'll be happy to answer questions on these locations.

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Very nice pictures and welcome to the GT forum.

campp is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Nice work. I was in Vaughn a few years ago, but my camera was acting stupid. There's a really cool vintage sign there that I need to re-photograph.

Welcome!

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    Hello everyone! I've used the ghosttowns.com site for many ghost towns I visit - a wealth of info there!
    I love researching the history of the towns and buildings before and after visiting these places.

I'm currently living in Clovis NM (Billy the Kid country) and I've explored a lot of ghost towns around my area (In NM and Tx)
    I've posted photos in my flickr account - I have a ghost town set here if anyone is interested.

I'm planning another 2-day 'adventure' and hopefully will head out soon. I'm on my way north, up to and around Fort Union. On my itenerary: Tiptonville, Fort Union, Watrous, La Cueva, and Las Vegas (overnight in the historical Plaza hotel!) Then I'm headed further north to Elizabethtown, Cimarron, Colfax, and Capulin Volcano. I'm taking my non-photographer hubby with me this time. I have to be careful and not bore him to death

I'm trying to decide how much time to spend at each area. Has anyone been to these places? I'm sure I'll spend about 2 hours at Fort Union, but what about the other little towns - are these places worth exploring, or just drive through and lookie loos?

Look through my ghost town set link -- I'll be happy to answer questions on these locations.

Have not been to NM yet, but have done quite a bit of research, including some of the towns you mentioned. Many of these were on the Old Santa Fe Trail (1821). One old place in particular, on yer schedule is Cimarron. Apart from being an historic little town, at least one structure, the St James Hotel, is reportedly haunted. It has been featured on more than one TV broadcast. I believe "Unsolved Mysteries" was one of them. Apparently the spirits, which are from 2-3 time periods are NOT malevolent, but you can Google "st james hotel cimarron" to read more. One of them is even a bit playful, in turning a light (on an upper story) back on, after the lady owner is certain she switched it off.

In fact if you have time, you can run all the towns thru Google to see what pops up. I did hear that not much remains at Ft Union, so current photos could be essential, and there should still be historic markers to help illustrate what the layout of the fort looked like, building placement, etc.

Thanks for the welcomes!
    I've updated the list - Colfax is behind a fence on private property (even though it's visible from the road). I don't want to just SEE the ghost towns, I gotta get out and explore them! I'm heading for Dawson cemetary instead. There were at least 2 mining accidents that left 200+ dead, so sad! Looks like I'll be seeing ghost towns, a cemetary, and a Volcano instead.
    I've been reading about the St James Hotel - I hope I can visit it without staying there.

Campp, Vaughn is pretty cool! You have to get off the highway though to see this little "downtown city block". IMO it was the coolest part of town.
    I found a personal connection with Vaughn -- the cowboy who drove the cattle through Vaughn (it's on the historical marker outside of town) worked for Joel Whitney, a wealthy rancher who owned property in NM and California. When I lived in Cali, I lived in an area called "Whitney Oaks" which was located on the old ranch he owned back then. He's actually buried in a pyramid moseleum (cript) located on a golf course in the area, within walking distance to my house. I have photos of it in my 'stream too, as well as remnants of the old ranch. Small world, huh?

I've never been "into" history, but I love researching history of the places I visit, and the people who lived there. Often, I'll learn the names, and find their tombstones in the cemetary - and say "thanks" as I pay my respects.

On another note, I find it ironic that Billy the Kid's grave is surrounded by bars. Even in death, he's still in jail.

Does anyone have any recent info on Loma Parda (north of Las Vegas, NM)? Some books say it's private property with nobody allowed on, but others say the road to/through town is not a private road. I may have to just drive by and see.

Day 1 is down.
    Watrus is a disappointment: The school that was pictured in many of my photos is gone. The store only has a wall remaining. The Masonic Lodge has the front left, and is the most remarkable building now ( but it's not remarkable)
    Fort Union was cool - Santa Fe trail is fascinating!
    La Cueva was worth the drive -- the old waterwheel and mill was interesting
    Las Vegas is a real civilized town complete with a Walmart and road construction. Historic downtown is awesome, it's easy to forget the modern world is out there! I highly recommend the Plaza Hotel if anyone is considering staying here.

Tomorrow: Elizabethtown, Cimerron, Dawson, RAton, Folsom, and Capulin Volcano!
    Whew what a day!!!

Good to read your posts Mel. I see you are currently visiting a few of the towns and general areas that I am interested in and have been questioning about so Im sure your information would be a big help! Good luck and Im excited to read how you fared on your trek today.

Illwell - what are you looking for?
    I've had my share of dissappointments on this trip (Watrous, Elizabethtown, and Cimerron) but I've found some jewels too! (St Vrain Mill in Mora).
    I'll post a complete review of my trip when I get home. We're on day 3 of our 2-day trip now LOL. Home tonight!

Mel -- I made a thread called NM Ghost Towns and I explain what Im looking for. What was wrong with Cimerron, I saw you said something earlier about that its not a ghost town. Looking forward to your full synopsis.

Thread Information