Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Your Ghost Town Pics

Default Wanted: Your Ghost Town Pics

I'm currently working on a book about the ghost town phenomenon, and my publisher is asking that I provide a handful of images for inclusion in the book. I'm covered as far as Utah ghost towns are concerned (I've taken many over the years), but I'm a bit lacking on non-Utah ghost towns.

So I'm appealing to you, my fellow ghost town photographers. Do you have a high-resolution digital photo or two you'd like to see published in a book? I've got a small budget, but most of that will probably go for cover art and a few historical pictures I have to pay and arm and a leg for. So yes, I'm asking to use your photos for free. Full credit will be given for all photos submitted, and I'll gladly provide a free copy of the book to the person whose photos the publishers use the most of.

I'm looking for compelling ghost town photos of any type, but I'm also looking specifically for images of the following towns and concepts:

TOWNS
    Calico, CA
    Cerro Gordo, CA
    Old Hachita, NM
    Jerome, AZ
    Goldfield, AZ
    Crystal, CO
    Rhyolite, NV
    Bannack, MT
    Miner's Delight, WY
    Park City, UT (historical)
    Various "true ghost" structures

OTHER STUFF

Tombstone's Boot Hill
    Tombstone's O.K. Corral
    False-front buildings
    Typical ghost town main street
    Miscellaneous mining equipment

Interested? Please reply or PM me and I'll send you more info. Thanks!
    Last edited by Bonneville Mariner; 05-10-2011 at 02:08 PM. Reason: fixed spacing
    "There comes a time in every rightly constructed boy's life when he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure."

bonnevillemariner.com

I'd be happy to share for photo credit.
    Right now I have the following that were taken between September of 2009 and May of 2010.

Coloma, MT
    Garnet. MT
    Leesburg, ID
    Bonzanza, ID
    Custer, ID
    Placerville, ID

Cheers,

Jim

I'm very interested in your project and excited to hear of a new book coming out - one of my biggest frustrations has been how ghost town books are reprinted but with pictures and some data that is over 10 years old... in accurate! So, I've thought of working on my own!

I will see which pictures I have and contact you about them - do you have a deadline? I might be willing to work on taking pictures if your deadline isn't immediate.

Exciting!

Check out my ghost town photos and let me know if I have anything you need.

Tsarevna is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

What is a true ghost structure?

Jim, I just sent you a private message. I've love to take a look at your photos.

Quote Originally Posted by danny_stoddard View Post
    I'm very interested in your project and excited to hear of a new book coming out - one of my biggest frustrations has been how ghost town books are reprinted but with pictures and some data that is over 10 years old... in accurate! So, I've thought of working on my own!
    You should! I share your frustration. I was very disappointed my first few years of ghost towning because I was going off a book that was 15 years old. Not only was very little left in some of the ghost towns by the time I got to them, one of the ghost towns listed had been completely repopulated!

My book is a primer on ghost towns, not a guide book. It's an overview of the ghost town phenomenon and the history behind it. The photos will convey how these towns look now (give or take a couple years).

Danny,

Quote Originally Posted by danny_stoddard View Post
    I will see which pictures I have and contact you about them - do you have a deadline? I might be willing to work on taking pictures if your deadline isn't immediate.
    I actually do have a deadline of May 31, but let me know where I can view your photos. Thanks!

Mel,

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    Check out my ghost town photos and let me know if I have anything you need.
    Will do!

Tsarevna,

Quote Originally Posted by Tsarevna View Post
    What is a true ghost structure?
    What I meant is any structure located in a "true ghost" ghost town. In my book, I define the expression "ghost town" and differentiate between true ghosts, living (or semi) ghosts, preserved ghosts, and revived ghosts.
    "There comes a time in every rightly constructed boy's life when he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure."

bonnevillemariner.com

Tsarevna is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

I can see a potential problem here. I'd advise against the use of the word "true" when talking about ghost towns. I use the term "Classical" for Class C's. Because it equates with the "classic" notion (that most people envision) of what a ghost town is.
    If you stick with the word "true," then a lot of people will sort of wonder why you include semi's and preserved and revived ghosts if they aren't really "true." It conjures a subconcious notion that some towns are "false" ghost towns...and this is a negative subconcious thought. (Did he run out of things to talk about concerning "real" ghost towns and just insert these others to fill space?)

It's just my personal opinion and worth nothing, but, I think an author might want to be inclusive rather than exclusive when introducing this subject to the reader. Opening up new ways of thinking, new horizons and more ways to visit, enjoy and have fun ghost towning could lead to a more positive reaction. You still draw a distinctive line between the ghost town varieties with a different word, and don't get me wrong, elevating the most pure forms of ghost towns is not wrong. I'm just suggesting you say it in a different way.
    (I've been up all night and I'm tired, I hope this makes sense and I come across as helpful rather than critical.)

Tsarevna, thanks. It is definitely helpful and something to consider. I could replace "true" with "classic," but I wonder if that might be problematic too. I think when most people picture a "classic" ghost town in their head, they think of something like Bodie where many old buildings exist in their pre-1962 state (the whole "saloon doors swinging in the wind" notion, as if time had just stopped).

Such is not the case with most true ghost towns, where ruins tend to be sparse and often mixed with something semi-modern. When I started ghost towning as a teenager, I went out with a 15 year old guide book thinking I'd find a bunch of sites that looked like Calico or Bodie. I was pretty hacked off when I discovered that most aren't like that today. I don't want to give my readers the wrong idea. I get your point, though, and will mull it over.

bonnevillemariner.com

Last call, everybody. If anybody else has ghost town photos I can use, let me know. I'll need to send you a permission form to sign, but again full credit will be given for each photo. I've got a hard deadline of May 31. Mel, I sent you a private message about your photos.

I'm also still looking for compelling images that represent the Old West in general (not necessarily ghost towns), if anybody has a good source for those to recommend.

Thanks!

bonnevillemariner.com

If you still need some shots of Boot Hill in Tombstone, Arizona, I can get some for you. Also, I can dig through my archives for Fairbank, Arizona if you're interested in that.

Thread Information