Thread: Fort Rucker in danger of destruction

Sunrise is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Default Fort Rucker in danger of destruction

The Horseshoe Two fire, as of 60 minutes ago, is .9 miles from old Fort Rucker. Yesterday it was two miles away. The loss of this would be a terrrible blow to the preserved history of the old west. I have spent many a fine day wandering about, and wonderiing about, this great place.

I spent Sunday and Monday in the little town of Paradise, I wandered around the Gayleville site, found graves, Indian sites, old mines and whatnot. Paradise was evacuated today, the fire is 2.74 miles from it. Barfoot observation tower was destroyed yesterday. I am sweating bullets. The Chiricahuas are my playground... more to the fact, my salvation and redemption, I am never happier then when I am in proximity to those mountains, just the site of them stirs my heart to happiness while the energy and vigor of my youth returns.
    If there's a God in heaven...
    Last edited by Sunrise; 06-03-2011 at 09:37 AM.
    “You are not a human being in search of a spiritual experience. You are a spiritual being immersed in a human experience.”http://thinkexist.com/i/sq/as4.gif Teilhard de Chardin quote

Sunrise, we agree with you. It would be terrible to lose old Fort Rucker. My wife and I were there in March of this year as well as many other places in the Chiricahuas. There is an old one room school on the west side. Is the fire anywhere near it? We spent a week in the area and will probably go back for more.
    40FORDJIM GHOSTTOWNER SINCE 1965

Sunrise is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

The Rucker Schoolhouse is not in harm's way, it being in the lowlands. Funny to me that you realize what the building was used for. So many of the locals that have passed by that area, don't even notice it, much less know what purpose it served.

As of 3:40, the fire was .05 miles from the fort
    Last edited by Sunrise; 06-03-2011 at 02:41 PM.
    “You are not a human being in search of a spiritual experience. You are a spiritual being immersed in a human experience.”http://thinkexist.com/i/sq/as4.gif Teilhard de Chardin quote

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Yes, dreadful. It's shaping up to be an ugly fire season, & not even any dry lightning yet. There are several forest fires in southern AZ right now, Tumacacori mts, Sonoita, Empire mts, Patagonia mts, The Cheery cows...all human caused. I can smell the smoke in Tucson.

I'm going to cry into my beer now...

<
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

I got the following from the Coronado National Forest Service about Fort Rucker:
    We did take steps to preserve it as a historical site, and the burnout in that area was successful. I just asked one of our firefighters and as far as is known, it is fine. The Forest is closing temporarily starting the 9th, so I do not know when it will re-open, so give us a call at 520-364-3468 before you come to get up-to-date information.

40FORDJIM GHOSTTOWNER SINCE 1965

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I just saw this on the news last night...terrible shame!!!!

Thread Information