Thread: Is Ruby AZ open again?

Default Is Ruby AZ open again?

I haven't been able to find definitive information.

I used to be able to go through there in the late 80's early 90's. The caretaker was suceptible to a 12-pack of Budweiser and a couple packs of store-bought smokes from Arivaca.

Thanks all!

Frisco

Ghostdancer is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Has it been closed? Last I knew you could pay admission at the gate or contact the Fredricks to do so and get a permission form.
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

Vulture is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I think access to Ruby has always been hit & miss. I was there about 9 years ago & the phone # for the owners was disconnected. We just tried one day when we were in Aravaca & caught the caretaker when he was handy. Nice guy, $20 opened the gate & then we had the place to ourselves for the day.

I think its a matter of if you honk at the gate & nobody answers then...too bad for you.

<
    "The good things a person needs-stubbornness, thinking for himself-don't make him a useful member of society. What makes him useful is to be half dead." Sylvan Hart

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

The last time I was there it cost me $10.00 paid to a hairy, smelly old guy that called himself "Moondog".

I swear I'm not making this up.

This is he:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Why do I have a feeling that guy is wanted for something. Probably not a better job for someone then as caretaker in the middle of nowhere if you can not have an otherwise normal life...LOL

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Yeah, you gotta figure he's the type that wants to live "off the grid" for whatever reason. Not making any accusations here, but I keep getting visions of Ted Kaczynski whenever I look at his picture. Don't ask me why...

Ghostdancer is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

When I was there the caretaker was a guy name Tommy Tyne; he was a great guy. He took us in his truck to where the mine is.
    "Here lies Lester Moore; four slugs from A-44. No Les no more." - Grave marker at Tombstone's Boothill Cemetary

Pima Community College offers occasional tours there. Otherwise, their hours are: Closed Monday - Wednesday, Open Thursday - Sunday. You can call (520) 744-4471 for more info. The entry fee is $12 per adult.

Make sure you have plenty of gas when you get on 289 near Nogales because there isn't much near Ruby. Also, because of it's proximity to the border, CBP patrols the dirt road often.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonids View Post
    Pima Community College offers occasional tours there. Otherwise, their hours are: Closed Monday - Wednesday, Open Thursday - Sunday. You can call (520) 744-4471 for more info. The entry fee is $12 per adult.

Make sure you have plenty of gas when you get on 289 near Nogales because there isn't much near Ruby. Also, because of it's proximity to the border, CBP patrols the dirt road often.
    And bring lots of guns and ammunition.

I just had to add that.

Haha. I was going to say something along those lines but refrained... =P Definitely make sure to go with a couple friends at the very least if you don't plan on doing the tour.

Thread Information