Thread: Upper Rochester NV- GONE

Default Upper Rochester NV- GONE

The town of Upper Rochester was located in a valley called Sage Hen Flat up Limerick Canyon, in the Humboldt Range. I saw some confusion in another thread by a user who ran into the Coeur Rochester Mine, and this is the same thing that happened to us this past week when we attempted to find the site. Upper Rochester and Sage Hen Flat are no more. The town site and the adjoining mountains have been leveled, and Sage Hen flat filled with tailings to the height of the surrounding hills:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Roches...38672&t=h&z=14

Lower Rochester is still there although according to the guard at Coeur the BLM has been bulldozing much of the ruins in an attempt to discourage visitors. There isn't much left compared to some of the pictures you can find online, and one can only assume the site will soon befall a similar fate. The road between Lower Rochester and Upper Rochester ends at a dirt wall approximately 1000 feet in height.

I don't understand the reasoning behind the BLM making these decisions and spending so much money on what seems to be a useless (and money wasting) venture. Isn't one of the purposes of the BLM to maintain and preserve the land as it is?

Why is there such (interfering) care and concern over who visits abandoned places? If the land is now part of the BLM, there shouldn't be any building (or bulldozing to this extent) at all.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the issue entirely? Please explain.

Jeff

Thread Information