Thread: In San Diego

Default In San Diego

For the next few weeks I will be in the San Diego area, so I was wondering anyone had any recommendations for locations to visit in that vicinity? I'd really like to make it out to the dying towns of the Salton Sea for one, but are there any others worth visiting?
    Easily distracted.

Current distraction: Railroad Depots

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Fairlane500 View Post
    For the next few weeks I will be in the San Diego area, so I was wondering anyone had any recommendations for locations to visit in that vicinity? I'd really like to make it out to the dying towns of the Salton Sea for one, but are there any others worth visiting?
    Hiya F500. Jct of CA 78 & 79 is a quaint old historic village called Julian. It's on what was once a stagecoach line, east-west, and probably tied in to the Overland Route at Yuma, though not 100% sure. Ocotillo Wells was a stage stop (east), and I think Santa Ysabel was another one (west). San Diego of course, being the western terminus. There are numerous little towns scattered thruout the area.

Huell Howser did a big "Californias Gold" segment on Julian not too long ago. Haven't been there yet myself, but will stop there next time I'm in the area.

BTW, for some of the best food at a great price is the Golden Corrall smorgy in El Centro. My brother & I went to the one in Yuma a few years ago. It was fantastic.
    Last edited by bad bob; 07-15-2011 at 05:54 PM.

We've been to Julian several times and it is definitely worth a trip to! It's of course completely restored and somewhat modernized, but many of the buildings there are original, including a original soda fountain at the Miner's Diner, the Julian jail, and many others. The Julian Hotel in "downtown" is also original and still open for business. North of town (within walking distance) is the Eagle & High Peak mine, an authentic gold mine that you can walk through on a guided tour; entering in one level and exiting in another level. Julian is now famous for their apple pies. The Smith Ranch & Gold Mine, along with their mining railroad, is well worth a short side trip from Julian.

John
    Josta

Big Bear Lake, CA

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by josta View Post
    We've been to Julian several times and it is definitely worth a trip to! It's of course completely restored and somewhat modernized, but many of the buildings there are original, including a original soda fountain at the Miner's Diner, the Julian jail, and many others. The Julian Hotel in "downtown" is also original and still open for business. North of town (within walking distance) is the Eagle & High Peak mine, an authentic gold mine that you can walk through on a guided tour; entering in one level and exiting in another level. Julian is now famous for their apple pies. The Smith Ranch & Gold Mine, along with their mining railroad, is well worth a short side trip from Julian.

John

Howdy John....Many thanks for the updated comments on Julian, and on the Randsburg area.

If you're interested in the Butterfield Stage, you can check out the Oak Grove Stage Station in CA-79 north of Warner Springs or the Vallecito Stage Station site (with recreated station) on S2 (a.k.a. "Great South Stage Route 1849") between CA-78 and US-8 (southwest of Anza Borrego). I missed seeing the latter when I was in Anza Borrego back in March.

Welcome, Bob! Always happy to help out a fellow ghost-towner!

John
    Josta

Big Bear Lake, CA

Thread Information