Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Helloooo <echo echo>

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by barnbum View Post
    Well dang Bad! Go get your' peepers fixed! I had mine done last year. Best thing I ever did. While they were at it, they corrected my lousy vision too. No more contacs or glasses. I can see things I never saw before. Which can be a bit startling at times. Who knew the dust bunnies could get that big?

The canyon walls still come straight down to the river in places. I'll have to do some research to find out where the pioneers were trying to float the river. Not something I'd willingly do. The river might look lazy, but it's not. I'm not surprised alot of them lost thier lives trying it. And after coming all that way. A terrible shame to loose thier lives like that when they were so close.
    LOL, and thanks for the font change, etc. I hafta depend on the VA for medcare, and I haven't found out yet if cataracts is something they will do. But you can believe I'm on it. I've been using reading glasses for a few years, and had to increase the lens power several times.

You mentioned La Grande recently. I think nearby Union was an historic town. Also in the extreme NE is the GT of Flora, and seems there was 1 or 2 others in that area. South down OR 3 is Joseph. Between Medical Springs and Richland on dirt (or gravel) road is Sanger, and Sparta. South of Med Springs on 203 is Pondosa. My reference is Florin's Guide to Western GTs, (1967) so some of the places may have disappeared.

I am still here, but mainly lurk and get lost for hours checking out the photos the members post.
    Explore Forums Ghost Town and Mining Camp Forums

Create your own ghost town galleries, blogs, forums, discussion, and much more, free.

Quote Originally Posted by bad bob View Post
    LOL, and thanks for the font change, etc. I hafta depend on the VA for medcare, and I haven't found out yet if cataracts is something they will do. But you can believe I'm on it. I've been using reading glasses for a few years, and had to increase the lens power several times.

You mentioned La Grande recently. I think nearby Union was an historic town. Also in the extreme NE is the GT of Flora, and seems there was 1 or 2 others in that area. South down OR 3 is Joseph. Between Medical Springs and Richland on dirt (or gravel) road is Sanger, and Sparta. South of Med Springs on 203 is Pondosa. My reference is Florin's Guide to Western GTs, (1967) so some of the places may have disappeared.

No problem. I know all too well what it's like to have trouble seeing. Sure hope the VA does the catarac surgery and you can get it done soon. It's a life changer. I didn't realize how bad my vision had gotten before I had the surgery, or how much I couldn't see.

We've been to Union. It's definately worth a visit. Pics:http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20 The first page is pics of our' drive over Tollgate before we dropped down into La Grande and pictures of Union. They have an awesome museum there. The second page is pics of the drive down to Medical Springs and an old homestead we saw on the way there. We turned around at Medical Springs because it was getting more and more remote and we were running out of time. There was an old rectangular pool there with water in it, and an old building beside the pool. I found some info on it later when I was looking for info on Hot Lake. I found some pictures on the Oregon Geneaology site: http://www.oregongenealogy.com/union...ings/index.htm The resort burned so none of those buildings are there now. There was a private residence there, and the pool and that was it. Had I known what I was looking at, I would have taken some pictures. I'd like to go back some time. It's beautiful country and well worth another visit.

I've been to Joseph. About 28 years ago. My dad lived in Enterprise. I'd like to go back sometime and poke around. I remember alot of old barns and buildings. I especially remember the post office at Imnaha. It was about the size of an outhouse. There was a little cafe there that my dad said had the best burgers around, so we stopped for lunch. He was right. About the burgers and Imnaha. He said not to blink, or you'd miss it.

I don't have any books about ghost towns and where they are. Any recommendations? I could definately use some reference books.

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

No problem. I know all too well what it's like to have trouble seeing. Sure hope the VA does the catarac surgery and you can get it done soon. It's a life changer. I didn't realize how bad my vision had gotten before I had the surgery, or how much I couldn't see.

We've been to Union. It's definately worth a visit. Pics:http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20 The first page is pics of our' drive over Tollgate before we dropped down into La Grande and pictures of Union. They have an awesome museum there. The second page is pics of the drive down to Medical Springs and an old homestead we saw on the way there. We turned around at Medical Springs because it was getting more and more remote and we were running out of time. There was an old rectangular pool there with water in it, and an old building beside the pool. I found some info on it later when I was looking for info on Hot Lake. I found some pictures on the Oregon Geneaology site: http://www.oregongenealogy.com/union...ings/index.htm The resort burned so none of those buildings are there now. There was a private residence there, and the pool and that was it. Had I known what I was looking at, I would have taken some pictures. I'd like to go back some time. It's beautiful country and well worth another visit.

I've been to Joseph. About 28 years ago. My dad lived in Enterprise. I'd like to go back sometime and poke around. I remember alot of old barns and buildings. I especially remember the post office at Imnaha. It was about the size of an outhouse. There was a little cafe there that my dad said had the best burgers around, so we stopped for lunch. He was right. About the burgers and Imnaha. He said not to blink, or you'd miss it.

I don't have any books about ghost towns and where they are. Any recommendations? I could definately use some reference books.

Nice photos barnie, many thanks for those links. The last photo, Union High School reminds me a lot of the court house in Back To The Future. I found the geneology link interesting too, many old timey photos, such as 1912 Medical Springs, etc.

My GT books are all outdated, but if ya go to this site's home page, the link under the forum link, there is a long list of suggested books. Look in coin shops, and thrift stores for discounted GT books. Check the publishing date in the front pages. You'll likely find some much newer than mine.

Sometimes folks on here will sell their books, or extras. You can run a want ad in the next-to-last category. Also eBay and Amazon often have good prices on those books too.

Nice photos barnie, many thanks for those links. The last photo, Union High School reminds me a lot of the court house in Back To The Future. I found the geneology link interesting too, many old timey photos, such as 1912 Medical Springs, etc.

My GT books are all outdated, but if ya go to this site's home page, the link under the forum link, there is a long list of suggested books. Look in coin shops, and thrift stores for discounted GT books. Check the publishing date in the front pages. You'll likely find some much newer than mine.

Sometimes folks on here will sell their books, or extras. You can run a want ad in the next-to-last category. Also eBay and Amazon often have good prices on those books too.

Glad you enjoyed the pictures. I liked the old high school in Union too. And now that you mention it, it does remind me of the old courthouse in Back to the Future. I've found some good info and pics on the genealogy site. If you like old pictures, this is another good site.
    http://68.178.234.42/webphoto/ Should take you to the Baker County Library picture archives. I've been known to get lost in there for long periods of time.

I'll have to check out the list of GT books on this site. I hadn't thought of that, so glad you mentioned it. I picked up a book called Ghost Towns of the Northwest, by Norman D. Weis today. It was published in 1971, so not real new, but it gives a history on each town that will be good for reference. It has maps too, but I'd need to compare them to updated maps. It covers OR, WA, ID, MT and WY. I was thinking about looking on Amazon for GT books earlier today. After I recover from today. We went to the Whitman Mission site and Fort Walla Walla, with a stop at the newly opened Frenchtown site. I only have 207 photos to edit. Tomorrow. Trying to see all three sites in one day is too much. I had planned on seeing the Fort Walla Walla Museum today, and catching the Whitman Mission site another day. Hubby decided we were seeing two sites today, because as long as you're up there, you might as well see it all at once. We're going to have to work on that. I didn't know about the Frenchtown site, so that was an add on when my car baled off the highway and parked itself. A return visit to the area is definitely on my radar.

Glad you enjoyed the pictures. I liked the old high school in Union too. And now that you mention it, it does remind me of the old courthouse in Back to the Future. I've found some good info and pics on the genealogy site. If you like old pictures, this is another good site. http://68.178.234.42/webphoto/ Should take you to the Baker County Library picture archives. I've been known to get lost in there for long periods of time.

I'll have to check out the list of GT books on this site. I hadn't thought of that, so glad you mentioned it. I picked up a book called Ghost Towns of the Northwest, by Norman D. Weis today. It was published in 1971, so not real new, but it gives a history on each town that will be good for reference. It has maps too, but I'd need to compare them to updated maps. It covers OR, WA, ID, MT and WY. I was thinking about looking on Amazon for GT books earlier today. After I recover from today. We went to the Whitman Mission site and Fort Walla Walla, with a stop at the newly opened Frenchtown site. I only have 207 photos to edit. Tomorrow. Trying to see all three sites in one day is too much. I had planned on seeing the Fort Walla Walla Museum today, and catching the Whitman Mission site another day. Hubby decided we were seeing two sites today, because as long as you're up there, you might as well see it all at once. We're going to have to work on that. I didn't know about the Frenchtown site, so that was an add on when my car baled off the highway and parked itself. A return visit to the area is definitely on my radar.

Appreciate the link, yep love the oldies too.

Will be lookin' for the recent pics whenever you can get to them.

Tsarevna is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Guess that explains it then. She was from the midwest.

We're planning a trip to see Fort Walla Walla this summer. Not a ghost town, but I'll be packing my camera's. If anyone is interested I can post pictures. I'm hoping to see the Whitman Mission National Historic site this summer too. There's alot of history in this area, we just don't have alot of ghost towns.

I think you will come to be pleasantly surprised. You're in the middle of a hot-bed of ghost towns.
    My recent visit to the Blue Mountains left me anxious because there were so many. The more I looked, the more I found! Abandoned homesteads over here, giant ruins of mines and millworks there, ghost ranches over here, mining-town ruins here! Gave me indigestion just trying to decide on which ghost towns to visit and which ones to sacrifice and put on the "next-time" list.

One thing I've learned is that Topo maps are a must-have. DeLourme's, Garmins, mytopo.com, even I-phone or Droid aps like Back Country Navigator or LocusMaps are proving to be worth their while. You could be right next to a site, but not know it because of overgrown brush or a road washout. Maps have spurred me to get out of my car and walk "just around the bend" because they tempt me that something may be there. That little black speck on the map often times turns out to be marvelous ruin.

Several times I have kissed my phone (which I turned into a GPS Nav with aps) and thought "wow! I'm so glad I walked-in!"

To hunt for the towns you can start with the books. Read them (even if they are out-dated,) and then get a Forest-Service Map. Go over the map with a comb and write down interesting leads. Research them until you identify which things were towns. Create the list. Do internet research next. Go there. Ask locals about them.

Take what locals say with a grain of salt and be sure to visit a town where "nothing is left" anyway. Many times people are confused and misinformed. Or just lying. I have been pleasantly surprised many times and have found towering concrete ruins or abandoned houses at places that are "gone." I just smile when that happens. I can appreciate a white lie told by someone unsure if they can trust you in an effort to protect an abandoned place.

Appreciate the link, yep love the oldies too.

Will be lookin' for the recent pics whenever you can get to them.

All this picture editin' has about got my eyeballs crossed. My braincells went numb about 5 hours ago. I soldiered on though and got the Frenchtown site up on Photobucket this evening, does that count?
    http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b2.../FrenchtownWA/ I don't have them resized for posting here, so Photobucket it is for now. There's really not alot to see at the Frenchtown site. There are no ruins there, just the unmarked graves in the cemetery. There are plans for a partial restoration of the chapel that was there. I'm not sure just exactly what a partial restoration would include. The area has been replanted with native grasses, so I guess that would be considered a restoration of sorts too. It will be interesting to see what else is done at the site.

All this picture editin' has about got my eyeballs crossed. My braincells went numb about 5 hours ago. I soldiered on though and got the Frenchtown site up on Photobucket this evening, does that count? http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b2.../FrenchtownWA/ I don't have them resized for posting here, so Photobucket it is for now. There's really not alot to see at the Frenchtown site. There are no ruins there, just the unmarked graves in the cemetery. There are plans for a partial restoration of the chapel that was there. I'm not sure just exactly what a partial restoration would include. The area has been replanted with native grasses, so I guess that would be considered a restoration of sorts too. It will be interesting to see what else is done at the site.

Maybe not a lot to see, but quite interesting anyway. My dad had retired from career on the RR, and the old RR built on wooden rails was the 1st I'd read about. Thanx for posting.

I am also here,just have not had anything to post.Have also been also involved in this group on facebook,as they have more trips.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/166108843454495

Thread Information