Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Helloooo <echo echo>

Darin is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by ghosttrain2 View Post
    I am also here,just have not had anything to post.Have also been also involved in this group on facebook,as they have more trips.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/166108843454495
    Ummm, everytime I click on the link, it just takes me to my home page. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Tsarevna View Post
    I think you will come to be pleasantly surprised. You're in the middle of a hot-bed of ghost towns.
    My recent visit to the Blue Mountains left me anxious because there were so many. The more I looked, the more I found! Abandoned homesteads over here, giant ruins of mines and millworks there, ghost ranches over here, mining-town ruins here! Gave me indigestion just trying to decide on which ghost towns to visit and which ones to sacrifice and put on the "next-time" list.

One thing I've learned is that Topo maps are a must-have. DeLourme's, Garmins, mytopo.com, even I-phone or Droid aps like Back Country Navigator or LocusMaps are proving to be worth their while. You could be right next to a site, but not know it because of overgrown brush or a road washout. Maps have spurred me to get out of my car and walk "just around the bend" because they tempt me that something may be there. That little black speck on the map often times turns out to be marvelous ruin.

Several times I have kissed my phone (which I turned into a GPS Nav with aps) and thought "wow! I'm so glad I walked-in!"

To hunt for the towns you can start with the books. Read them (even if they are out-dated,) and then get a Forest-Service Map. Go over the map with a comb and write down interesting leads. Research them until you identify which things were towns. Create the list. Do internet research next. Go there. Ask locals about them.

Take what locals say with a grain of salt and be sure to visit a town where "nothing is left" anyway. Many times people are confused and misinformed. Or just lying. I have been pleasantly surprised many times and have found towering concrete ruins or abandoned houses at places that are "gone." I just smile when that happens. I can appreciate a white lie told by someone unsure if they can trust you in an effort to protect an abandoned place.

Thanx for the info about the maps. I bought a Forest Service map last year before we went up to Sumpter. It does show ghost towns, but I have a feeling it doesn't show all of them. I need more maps, but wasn't sure which ones to get. Knowing which ones to get will help.

I know there are alot of ghost towns east of us, up in the mountains. I don't know of any close to where we live, which was why I said there's lot's of history here, but no ghost towns. I should have added "that I know of". Oops.

I don't have a smart phone, so don't know if there are any apps like the ones you mentioned for my phone. I have an app for Google Maps, and my phone is GPS capable. I'd have to ask Sprint about that.

I hear what you're saying about walk around the bend. That's how I "found" the old mine on the road to Bourne. It's not on any maps I have and I couldn't find it on Google maps either. We saw something that looked like an old retaining wall, so stopped to investigate on our' way back from Bourne. There was an old road going up the hill, so I went for a walk. That was an awesome find! If I hadn't gotten out and walked up that old road, I would have missed a highlight of the trip.

Good advice for dealing with locals. I might do the same thing if I lived close to an abandoned/historical site. There's been so much vandalism and theft from historic sites. You just don't know who to trust these days.

Quote Originally Posted by bad bob View Post
    Maybe not a lot to see, but quite interesting anyway. My dad had retired from career on the RR, and the old RR built on wooden rails was the 1st I'd read about. Thanx for posting.

You're welcome. Glad you enjoyed the info. I'm still working on the pictures from the Whitman Mission. I got a few out of order, and now I have to figure out which ones go where. Then I got distracted reading about the site......................

I thought the wooden rails for the train was pretty interesting too. I had no idea it was possible to use wooden rails. From what I read, it wasn't the greatest system, but they made it "work". Sort of. When needs must!

Quote Originally Posted by Darin View Post
    Ummm, everytime I click on the link, it just takes me to my home page. :-(
    May be quicker to search out "Wild West Ghosttowners Expedition's" on facebook. Grizz Sprowl is the moderator.

some of the lives lost occurred at the Cascade rapids. http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm...&file_id=5355T

The Cascades of the Columbia are thought to have served as namesake for the Cascade mountain range.

They were a big deal before the Bonneville dam covered 'em up.

(Sam) Barlow road intersects with Highway 197. Years ago I was driving on 197 when my gps suggested a turn onto Barlow road, which looked like undisturbed impassable forest at that particular intersection... It may have been more road-like 150 years ago.

The above was intended as a response to:

The wagons had to stop at the Columbia, as the canyon walls came right down to the river at that time. Not sure if it was around the Dalles or not. But many folks lost their lives on the river after travelling all that way, enduring unbelievable hardships. So others took a road which I think is current rte US197 south up into the hills, either to current Madras, OR, then current OR 216 to US 26, or Maupin and over that way, then thru Gov't Camp, Zigzag, and down into Oregon City. It was called Barlow's Road, but not sure which portion had that designation.

on page 2.

All I have time for lately is reading posts and enjoying trip reports from others. Time is catching up to my family, it seems, and I appear to be the only one willing & able to help them out. I just recently completed cleaning up my Grandfather's old farm near Sacramento, CA: 3 acres that would qualify as a ghost town in its own right. He had collected 67 years' worth of junk and vehicles and farm equipment and you-name-it to the tune of 17 vehicles, 6 tractors, dozens of plows & farm implements, and tons & tons of garbage & scrap metal. So I spent every other weekend between August 2010 and September 2011 doing 1100-mile roundtrips between Las Vegas & his farm to cleanup. In addition to my full-time job. I haven't even had time to do anything around my own home. Contrary to what all the relatives who lived close by (but couldn't be bothered to help out, with the exception of my cousin who was a Godsend) insist on believing, there weren't any treasures there; the only treasures were the lifetime of memories that 3 generations of us have acquired growing up there.

The biggest challenge was how to free up a stuck 1950 Caterpillar D7 dozer that had been sitting in the same spot for over 30 years; there was a problem with the heads and it was parked with the intentions of eventually repairing it & running it again. It sank into the soil & wind-blown dirt nearly buried her, and the tracks were so rusted that it took another D7 & a D6C to free it & get it rolling again for new owners. NOTHING was easy about this cleanup, but I won't bore anyone anymore with the details...suffice to say that even after all the sales of vehicles, equipment, and scrap metal, my parents & I were still out-of-pocket to the tune of over $20K (nearly $9K of my own money out-of-pocket, no reimbursement in sight) to get this cleanup done & list the property for sale. Good thing we love my Grandfather (my Mom's Dad).

Now my aunt in Pahrump needs help cleaning her property after my uncle passed away and another family member in Indian Springs, NV, needs help cleaning up a lifetime of junk accumulation. However, this time I will be paid with a couple of old military vehicles, which I get to store in Pahrump once I get my aunt's property cleaned up.

I get tired of hearing from friends & co-workers that I should hire someone to do this cleanup instead of doing it myself; well, every time we've tried that prior to my involvement, the idiots hired either took a couple of loads of scrap metal and were never heard from again, or gleaned all the "good stuff" to satisfy their substance abuse habits and couldn't be found again. So meanwhile all the hard-to-get-rid-of stuff remains, which leads to MY involvement. Once I complete something, it is DONE. I even have some old apron rakes I scavenged from my Grandfather's old farm that I rebuilt, to tow behind my Polaris ATV & level out the old properties and knock down weeds, to look fresh & clean.

So now I'll be busy until next summer cleaning these 2 properties for family members; hundreds more tires to dispose of, along with lots of hazmat (old paint, oil, chemicals, etc...) and garbage. UGH. But those places won't miracle themselves clean, and nobody else is stepping up, so now I'll do it.

Sorry for the long rant...I'm dying to get back out into the beautiful tranquility of the desert, but life keeps getting in the way.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
    --Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoa*alysis (1952)

Just amazing how many people can't, or won't do their share of a dirty job. Cleaning up estates can be a lot of work, but it sounds like you found an antique Caterpillar enthusiast to take on a restoration project on the old D7.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Just amazing how many people can't, or won't do their share of a dirty job. Cleaning up estates can be a lot of work, but it sounds like you found an antique Caterpillar enthusiast to take on a restoration project on the old D7.
    Hi Dave,

Quite true!

However, yes, I did find a Cat enthusiast, and in fact made some new friends via a couple of antique Caterpillar forums...they purchased all the Cats but one (I kept a D4 for myself). There aren't any better homes than the ones these Cats went to, in both Bakersfield and California City. In fact they even let me "babysit" a D6C bulldozer while they transported the D7 to its new home in California City!!! That D6C dozer sure helped clear a lot of weeds & overgrown areas.

Now I want one....
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
    --Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoa*alysis (1952)

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I've been doing quite a bit of moving myself, so not much time to explore either. I have how ever been getting things on the to do list done, so hopefully I can get back out full swing early next year; depending on the weather.
    "I have a .44 and a shovel, I'm sure no one's gonna miss you" - Virginia City, NV

http://community.webshots.com/user/GBodell

Thread Information