Thread: Medill, Missouri

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Medill, Missouri

Originally posted by Orange Julius guy

: Does anyone know anything about an abandoned town in Missouri named Medill? It's off route 36 close to Iowa. Apparently, it's only been deserted for about 40 years or so. Email me if you know anything; I'm working on researching the town for a project. Thanks!

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Medill, Missouri

Originally posted by Teri

: My husband grew up in Medill, which is now just a small residential community. Apparently, it was a busy, railroad town in the late 1800's and early 1900's. You can find a brief history at the following website:

: http://www.kahoka.com/medill/history/index.html

whats your husbands name? i grew up in medill. i may know him.

Default Medill, Missouri

I grew up in Granger, another ghost town in neighboring Scotland County, to the west. When I was in high school in the 1950s, our class had a skating party at the roller rink in Medill. I remember it was on the west side of the BNSF track. There were several other businesses in Medill at the time, but I only remember the roller rink. Medill was also at the intersection of two railroads, which probably helped it grow in the early 1900s. My grandparents took the Keokuk & Western RR from Kahoka to Medill in 1934 and took the Santa Fe to Chicago to see the Century of Progress Exhibition. The special round-trip fare was a little over $5. My grandfather, a rural mail-carrier, never owned a car, as he was able to travel most places by rail.

Default Medill, Missouri

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosttowns.com View Post
    Originally posted by Teri

: My husband grew up in Medill, which is now just a small residential community. Apparently, it was a busy, railroad town in the late 1800's and early 1900's. You can find a brief history at the following website:

: http://www.kahoka.com/medill/history/index.html
    I tried the URL and it no longer works. I write a column for Discover Vintage America and would like to learn more about Medill history. I grew up in Granger, another ghost town to the west in Scotland County. Our high school class went skating at the roller rink in Medill in the early 1950s.

Ken Weyand
    kweyand1@kc.rr.com

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Weyand View Post
    I grew up in Granger, another ghost town in neighboring Scotland County, to the west. When I was in high school in the 1950s, our class had a skating party at the roller rink in Medill. I remember it was on the west side of the BNSF track. There were several other businesses in Medill at the time, but I only remember the roller rink. Medill was also at the intersection of two railroads, which probably helped it grow in the early 1900s. My grandparents took the Keokuk & Western RR from Kahoka to Medill in 1934 and took the Santa Fe to Chicago to see the Century of Progress Exhibition. The special round-trip fare was a little over $5. My grandfather, a rural mail-carrier, never owned a car, as he was able to travel most places by rail.

Hiya Ken. Pretty interesting travel rates in 1934. Nowadays it'll cost ya at least $5 to tip the red cap schleppin' the luggage.

Thread Information