Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Old Arizona Marble Mining Company Quarry--Then and Now

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    That is a very interesting boiler arrangement. Do you mind if I post those two photos in another forum and ask some steam engine experts about it?
    Not at all Dave! I would be very interested in what you find out.

Ernie

Sunrise is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Greetings, Thanks for the marble post. I wonder if you could provide some direction on how to get to the quarry?

A few years ago, someone described a quarry that seems to match your photos, however, I recall that they told me their quarrry was in the Winchester Mts. Do you think there could be two?

Thanks
    “You are not a human being in search of a spiritual experience. You are a spiritual being immersed in a human experience.”http://thinkexist.com/i/sq/as4.gif Teilhard de Chardin quote

Quote Originally Posted by Sunrise View Post
    Greetings, Thanks for the marble post. I wonder if you could provide some direction on how to get to the quarry?

A few years ago, someone described a quarry that seems to match your photos, however, I recall that they told me their quarrry was in the Winchester Mts. Do you think there could be two?

Thanks
    Hi Sunrise,

I was recently contacted by the owner of an extensive ATV/SUV offroad website. He wrote that he could not believe that in this day and age that I would not have specific directions, google earth maps and gps logs to the places listed on my website--LOL He offered to show me how to do those things so that I could improve my website.

Well, I respectfully declined. For me, part of my interest in backcountry travel is figuring out where the places are and how to get there. Its not that I don't occasionally appreciate a hint, but I usually do not want a step by step description on how to get to a particular location. I assume that there are other folks who enjoy that part of the challenge.

The quarry is located in the Chiricahua Mountains

I am not aware of a quarry in the Winchester Mountains. I have heard of one in the Dragoon Mountains, but I have not been to it.

HTH,

Ernie
    Last edited by Toysx2; 10-19-2011 at 06:40 PM.

Excellent pics and story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I hiked in to this place four years ago, it belonged to a family named Klump from around the Bowie/Willcox area. They are legendary for their paranoia and hostility, and willingness to poke guns in peoples' faces.
    Wanting to stay legal, I contacted Matt Klump, and wound up having to sign one of the most bizarre "waiver and release" documents I'd ever seen. Among other things it "required" that I admit whether I was an "undercover agent."
    A full history of the Arizona Marble Company was written by Page Bakarich, and reposes with the Cochise County Historical Society. They graciously made PDFs of the article for me. Hippies lived at this site for a long time. They may or may not be the ones
    who engraved the Lord's Prayer on a rock overlooking the quarry.

"Give me continence and give me chastity....but not yet."
    Saint AugustineAttachment 7162

Great story and pictures. Never knew about that marble mine.

Is the mine still on private property (is the gate marked private property)? Or is there another way around to visit the mine while not traveling on private property?

Regarding the marble mine in the Dragoons, I've got some information about it on my website (unfortunately, I couldn't find much history on it) at: http://www.experience-az.com/adventu...arblemine.html

matt@experience-az.com
    www.experience-az.com

While looking through an old boiler manual I came across the illustration in the first photo. It is an example of a "Stirling" boiler that used a stack of steam and water drums. Water circulated through nearly vertical tubes between the drums. Steam was pulled off from the top set. Brick baffles were used to create a complex motion of furnace gases around the tubes. This style of boiler first appeared around 1890, and by 1900 were very popular. They were efficient but large in size. The boiler tubes however could not withstand very high pressure so the boilers were used in low pressure applications. The second photo is a line drawing of a 3 drum Stirling Boiler. I think that it may represent the type of boiler installed here.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

My family owned this quarry from the mid 1950's to 2001. Name:  dm59.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  95.9 KBName:  dm118.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  83.3 KB

Thread Information